Solve Crossword Puzzles With Style.
Everything you need to download, solve, and print puzzles.
Get Black Ink and start solving puzzles on your Mac today.
Compatible with macOS 10.12 and later, including macOS Catalina.
Black Ink is free to use indefinitely with some premium features disabled. Unlock Black Ink's premium features with a one-time purchase to enjoy these additional features:
- Check your answers with most puzzles
- Race the clock with our puzzle timer
- Print book-quality copies of puzzles for solving on paper
Black Ink opens and solves puzzles that use the Across Lite format, which are distributed by several free and paid sources in the United States, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and others.
* Bug Fixes *
• Fixed an issue that caused downloads of older WSJ puzzles to fail
• Fixed a bug that caused the puzzle window to drift off screen when making it larger
• Fixed an issue that prevented logging in to American Values Club accounts when passwords contain particular characters
• Fixed a bug that caused the timer to not be visible/started by default
• Improved error handling when a downloaded puzzle cannot be saved for whatever reason
* Accessibility Enhancements *
• Improve "Speak items under the pointer" to speak the right clue for across or down depending on current focus
We hope you appreciate the long-time maintenance of this legendary Mac crossword app. Please take a moment to tell your friends and leave a rating in the app store.
Having problems? Drop us a line firstname.lastname@example.org, we are happy to help!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A fun crossword app
I've used this app nearly every day since the 2.0 update in support of my crossword hobby. It works with the puzzles that I get in my e-mail (use the .PUZ file instead of the .JPZ file), and I also use it to download recent free puzzles from WSJ and The Chronicle.
The app supports some special features like circled letters and squares that accept multiple answers. It's difficult to describe, but the grid appearance is very nice, and a really nice feature is that the window is resizable and you can make it basically an size you want.
Occasionally I cheat a bit and use the "Check Entire Puzzle" feature to see if I've missed any letters; when I enter the corrected letter, I'm gifted with a lovely green checkmark.
There's a feature here that I thought was heresy when I first saw it: if your Mac is in Dark Mode, instead of black and white squares the grid will be black and gray! Now that I've accepted it, this has actually become one of my favorite features. If you get the urge to solve crosswords on the computer in the dark, you can do it without that initial wincing and squinting.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. It's great to learn that so many of the "finishing touches" I decided to add to the app were appreciated!
Still the best Crossword App for Mac
I've been a user since before it initially went on the App Store, and the software has been solid for years.
I like the new changes, happy to pay for the upgrade (and frankly, happy to move to the AppStore for convenience).
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for the kind words. Glad you are continuing to enjoy the app.
- Red Sweater Software
- 8.6 MB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Red Sweater Software
- In-App Purchases
- "Black Ink 2 Premium Features" $29.99
- 14-Day Free Trial
- Upgrade from Black Ink 1 $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.