Solve Crossword Puzzles in Style: free to download and use, with optional paid upgrade for premium features. Try all the premium features for 14 days with a free in-app-trial "purchase." NOTE: You will only be charged if you choose to unlock premium features permanently.
Everything you need to download, solve, and print puzzles on your Mac.
Compatible with macOS 10.12 and later, including macOS Catalina.
Black Ink is free to use indefinitely with some premium features disabled. Unlock Black Ink's premium features with a one-time purchase to enjoy these additional features:
- Check your answers with most puzzles
- Race the clock with our puzzle timer
- Print book-quality copies of puzzles for solving on paper
Black Ink opens and solves puzzles that use the Across Lite format, which are distributed by several free and paid sources in the United States, including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, American Values Club, and others.
This update addresses a bug with New York Times puzzle importing that caused today's puzzle, October 31, 2021, to be imported wrong. If you already imported today's puzzle you will need to delete the puzzle file from your Mac and then re-import the puzzle to get the correctly formatted puzzle.
The update also improves conversion of NYT puzzles by translating shaded puzzles to circled squares, and by improving compatibility with Across Lite.
Version 2.1.8 included fixes to ensure that circled squares now appear correctly in NYT puzzles. If you already downloaded the NYT puzzle from September 12, you can delete it and re-download it to get the circles to appear.
Version 2.1.7 included these bug fixes and improvements:
- Improve memory usage performance when opening and closing puzzles
- Prevent editing and deletion of built-in puzzle sources. Disable them if you want to hide them from the list.
- Further improvements to the compatibilty of saved puzzles with Across Lite
Version 2.1.6 included a fix for validation of premium features purchases.
Version 2.1.5 included these fixes:
- Saved puzzles are now compatible with being opened in Across Lite
- Add a new Edit menu item to "Copy Clue" for the selected word
- Fix a bug that could cause puzzle clues to print over the grid in some layouts
- Fix a crashing bug when printing some puzzles
- Improve VoiceOver behavior with respect to focused word after switching focus direction
Version 2.1.4 included these fixes:
- Support for downloading NYT puzzles that are released the night before
- Fix a bug that caused NYT downloads to fail from certain time zones with positive offsets from GMT
Version 2.1.3 included these updates:
- Restored support for logging in to download Premium NYT puzzles
- Fix visual glitches with puzzle source icons after switching between dark and light modes
- Fix a bug that could cause puzzle source icons to draw very large in the Open Web Puzzle menu
- Improvements to letter alignment within puzzle squares
- Fine-tune the placement of the focus ring when entering special answers
- If special entry is open while the window is resized the field now moves with the window
- Remove Chronicle of Higher Education whose puzzles are no longer updated
Version 2.1.2 included these updates:
- Added Washington Post Sunday to the web puzzles list
- Added Liz Gorski's Crossword Nation premium puzzle
- Fix a crashing bug that could occur while printing or shortly after
- Fix a bug that could distort the puzzle shape when zooming in or out of full screen mode
- Fix a bug that caused part of a checkbox label in preferences to be cut off
Version 2.1.1 included the following changes:
- Adapt to support puzzles that mix diagramless and regular formats
- Fix a bug that prevented puzzle window from being resized by dragging the window's edge
- Selected clue is now scrolled to visible with a little buffer area around it in the clue list
- Now marks any incorrect answers in the puzzle when enabling the "Automatic Correction" preference
- Remove "move to unsolved after switching direction" preference as it was not behaving well
Version 2.1 included the following changes:
- Performance enhancements for Apple Silicon based Macs
- Now supports printing very large puzzles that require more than 2 pages
- Fix issues printing in landscape mode or to small paper sizes
If you have a minute, please leave a rating or review in the App Store. It means a lot.
Questions or concerns about the app? Get in touch at email@example.com. Thank you!
Ratings and Reviews
Could not load puzzles
Attempted to use during the trial but after less than a week I could not even load puzzles anymore.
Developer Response ,
Hi - sorry about this. Unfortunately as the developer of this app I don't have any control over the availability of the puzzles at the sources I include in the app. The primary purpose of the app is to provide a nice solving utility for puzzles, however you choose to obtain them. I know that is a bit confusing and can be disappointing when the pre-configured puzzle sources don't always work.
A fun crossword app
I've used this app nearly every day since the 2.0 update in support of my crossword hobby. It works with the puzzles that I get in my e-mail (use the .PUZ file instead of the .JPZ file), and I also use it to download recent free puzzles from WSJ and The Chronicle.
The app supports some special features like circled letters and squares that accept multiple answers. It's difficult to describe, but the grid appearance is very nice, and a really nice feature is that the window is resizable and you can make it basically an size you want.
Occasionally I cheat a bit and use the "Check Entire Puzzle" feature to see if I've missed any letters; when I enter the corrected letter, I'm gifted with a lovely green checkmark.
There's a feature here that I thought was heresy when I first saw it: if your Mac is in Dark Mode, instead of black and white squares the grid will be black and gray! Now that I've accepted it, this has actually become one of my favorite features. If you get the urge to solve crosswords on the computer in the dark, you can do it without that initial wincing and squinting.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the thoughtful review. It's great to learn that so many of the "finishing touches" I decided to add to the app were appreciated!
Can get free puzzles
On my first try I chose to get puzzles that coincidentally required a purchase, so I dumped the app. After a kind developer response, I reloaded the app and am very pleased in finding a free puzzle that was challenging and worked well. I am going 5 star for the app and the developer's kind response. If you don't want to pay subscriptions, just keep looking.
Developer Response ,
Hi - I'm sorry if the description of the app was misleading. I try to make it clear that the app doesn't include any puzzles but can be used to download and solve puzzles from a variety of sources. Two of the puzzles sources the app comes preconfigured to use are indeed paid subscription services. I include them as a convenience to people who are already, or wish to become subscribers. The other puzzle sources, along with many others listed on my site and around the web, are free to download and solve with Black Ink. I'm not in the puzzle-making business but a lot of people nonetheless find the app very nice! It sounds like you didn't get a chance to appreciate the app because you didn't try solving any free puzzles. They are definitely there and available from the "Get More Puzzles" button in the app. I hope you'll give it another try and consider rating it again with a new perspective. - Daniel
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Red Sweater Software
- 11.7 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Red Sweater Software
- In-App Purchases
- 14-Day Free Trial $0.00
- "Black Ink 2 Premium Features" $29.99
- Upgrade from Black Ink 1 $14.99
- Recent update from Black Ink 1 $0.00
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.