An encyclopedia for all those eager to learn the basics of blues lead guitar and who want to discover how the legends build their solos. 115+ riffs from 16 masters.
“I’ve been writing about the guitar, and playing it, for more years than I care to count, but seeing [this] app made my jaw drop for the first time in a decade.” —HP Newquist, former Editor-in-Chief, GUITAR magazine
An encyclopedia for all those eager to learn the basics of blues lead guitar and who want to discover how the legends build their solos.
Also check out Blues Masters #2, now available on the App Store!
“The Blues Guitar app created by [G-Men Productions] is so full of enjoyable and entertaining elements that it is sure to inspire everyone who uses it to grab the nearest guitar and start playing. They’ve taken the age-old process of teaching guitar and infused it with stunning animation, sound, photos, and video.… Those who already play guitar will not be able to resist using the app to learn more, and those who don’t play will want to run out and find a guitar just to be part of the digital world that [they] have built. I’ve been writing about the guitar, and playing it, for more years than I care to count, but seeing [this] app made my jaw drop for the first time in a decade.”
—HP Newquist, former Editor-in-Chief, GUITAR magazine; Executive Director, The National GUITAR Museum; author, “The Way They Play” Guitar Series
Learn 115+ authentic riffs from 16 masters of the blues guitar. These riffs are designed to sound great over each portion of the blues progression. They're presented (using notes and tab with audio and animation) in two measure chunks—organized by where they fall in the standard 12-bar progression. Some riffs also feature video instruction. You can enrich your blues vocabulary and assemble your own solos with authentic licks as played by 16 of the best Blues Masters:
Duane Allman – Wayne Bennett – Dickey Betts – Kenny Burrell
Eric Clapton – Albert Collins – Warren Haynes – Albert King
B.B. King – Sammy Lawhorn – Gary Moore – Jack Pearson
Stevie Ray Vaughan – T-Bone Walker – Leslie West – Zakk Wylde
Blues Masters by the Bar app is an encyclopedia for all those eager to learn the basics of blues lead guitar and who want to discover how the legends build their solos.
• Audio with text commentary for each riff
• Video instruction for selected riffs (about 15 videos)
• The ability to purchase 21 additional videos
• Slow down each riff, without changing its pitch, to 3/4 or 1/2 speed to help you learn it
• Notes and tab, with animation, shows you what to play for each riff
• You can loop over any portion of each lick for learning an especially tricky section in it
• Add your favorite licks to your “Hot List” for convenient retrieval
• See a Bio page for each artist with the ability to listen to each of their licks, sorted by its place in the 12-bar progression; if you like a riff, tap on it to go straight from the Bio page to the Music page to learn it
• A fun spinner to randomly select an artist and riff
• A built-in tuner with clickable strings to help you tune your guitar
• A Hot List page for assembling your own 12-bar Hot List solo; choose six 2-bar licks sorted by lick number or artist to create a 12-bar solo and then play it as if the greats were trading licks with each other
• Animate the whole progression while playing one of two backing tracks so you can play them with your own rhythm section (you can slow this down too!)
• Share your progress on social media or message
• Everything is included; no Wi-Fi streaming is required
This app was produced by Cherry Lane Music Company, a leader in music instruction, and by G-Men Productions.
Bug fixes, performance enhancements, and security enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
I really can't see why all of the reviews are glowing and give this app 5 stars. The app is ok, and there only a few videos. This is probably best suited for garage band type users. I do not feel that this app was worth the price. Knowing what I know now, I shouldn't have paid more than $2-$3.
This is really a good app to learn with.
When I first downloaded it, it did not work with my iPad's audio. I called G-Men customer support and left a message - really not expecting any reply. However, they called me right back with the fix and they were really nice folks, too.
All I had to do was change the setting on the slide button from, Lock Rotation" to "Mute" and slide it back and forth. Instant sound. It seems Apple has this little glitch...
Awesome app for guitar players
This app has really fun functionality and is beautifully designed. It easily gives me the ability to create cool 12-measure jams by combining different licks from the extraordinary featured artists. The quality videos are a great help to develop my playing style. And the app is robust enough to move effortlessly from feature to feature while not compromising the experience.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- G-Men Productions, LLC
- 758.7 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2011 G-Men Productions. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Three Note-By-Note Instruction Videos (A. King / Clapton / Clapton) $1.99
- Three Note-By-Note Instruction Videos (Vaughan / A. King / West) $1.99
- Three Note-By-Note Instruction Videos (Allman / Allman / Betts) $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.