Connect to your Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and Ursa Mini Pro right from your iPhone or iPad in one universal app.
Using the built-in Bluetooth in your camera, BMD Bluetooth Control+ gives you the ability to wirelessly control the following functions:
- NEW Follow Focus (currently Pocket 4K with focus-by-wire lenses only). See below for some limitations
- Record Start/Stop
- White Balance, including 5 helpful presets and Auto White Balance
- Green/Magenta Tint
- Trigger Autofocus (for supported electronic lenses with autofocus enabled on lens)
- Off-speed frame rates
- Aperture (for supported electronic lenses)
- Shutter Angle
- Active Card
- Power On/Off
- Enter metadata in the Digital Slate (including location data from your iPhone or iPad if you give permission)
You can now pull focus wirelessly right from your iPhone or iPad. There are some limitations outlined below.
- Currently only supports Pocket 4K using focus-by-wire lenses
- The camera does not supply the app with any information on the lenses current focus distance, so the app will not update in real time if you pull focus manually on the lens
- Due to the nature of bluetooth, focus pulls may not be 100% smooth. It works well for nice slow pulls, but fast pulls my not feel entirely natural and organic. Unfortunately this is a limitation of the available technology.
As the name suggests, this feature locks the app into Slate-Only mode, without the ability to change critical camera settings or start/stop recording. This means you can let an assistant keep metadata up to date without the fear of interfering with important camera settings.
Apple Watch BETA
Start and stop recording right from your wrist with the Apple Watch beta
This minor update fixes an issue where the app could crash when using the focus marks, as well as adds a help screen to explain focus marks usage. For other new features, read on below…
Thanks for your feedback! We've done our best to include as many requested features in this update as possible, including:
- Rack focus - set up to 3 focus marks and timings to rack between them (Pocket 4K only)
- Focus distance readout on supported lenses (Pocket 4K only)
- Resolution and codec support, including Windowed Sensor toggle
- Set focus peaking and zebra levels
- Improved frame-rate support
- Battery levels (can be temperamental on Pocket 4K due to firmware issues)
- Improved ISO support on Ursa Mini Pro
Please keep sending through your feedback, we do read it and do our best to implement what we can. Do keep in mind that there are some things that Blackmagic do not support. If there's something you'd like to see that's not in the app at this point, there is a good chance it's because it's not supported by Blackmagic's API, so do feel free to get in touch with them as well with your feature requests.
Ratings and Reviews
Fantastic, a request!
Just checking in to see if an update might be coming regarding focus pulling controls. Would be super helpful still! Even as a paid add on. Thanks!
Love this app, this is my new favorite way of pulling focus when on a shoulder rig. Two request that would make a huge difference for the focus pulling aspect:
1 - It would be amazing if the sensitivity of the focus pulling could be adjustable by the end user. Using it on my phone means that a small distance on screen can result in a pretty big throw and I would love the ability to dial that back
2 - if the focus screen could react to slides on a wider surface area, possibly the entire screen that would be helpful for eyes-off operation of the focus pull. The current slider is so tiny that if I am not looking it is easy to miss.
Otherwise the app is fantastic, been a real life saver. If the functionality ever makes monitoring possible this would be the biggest thing since sliced bread.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the review and the suggestions!
Will definitely be taking your thoughts into account for the next release. Not 100% sure at this point if it will all be incorporated, but I’ll do some experimenting and see how it feels
120 fps won't stop recording
(Update) the developer fixed the issue with "record not working" within a week and added a follow focus which is pretty great
(OLD)There's an issue with my bmpcc4k. When I'm shooting 120 fps, the record button the app work for the start of the recording but not for ending the recording. This is a big issue when using a slider because I have to chace the camera in order to manually stop recording.
Developer Response ,
Hi, please contact support - firstname.lastname@example.org - and we’ll sort out the issue
The app out of the box is very good and convenient. The design and layout is easy to follow and intuitive. So far the only problem I have is trying to manually dial in the shutter speed. If you use the left/right arrows, they toggle between shutter values EXCEPT the most important and most used shutter speed of 1/48. It is virtually impossible for me to manually dial in a 1/48 shutter speed. I have to do that in camera. Another feature that would really help is if they allow for adding letters to scenes (i.e. scene 3a, 3b, 3c etc.) Currently only allows to slate scene with numbers only (3,4,5 etc) Hopefully a future update can address these issues.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.