Learn about one of the most famous Victorian cemeteries in the world and its inhabitants.
Each stop has photos and a narration by a local Savannah resident. Your fee goes directly to support the preservation efforts of this treasure by the Bonaventure Historical Society.
Minor bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Narrow focus, overpriced
Overall it’s an OK app, but at $5 it’s a bit overpriced for what it tells you.
Also, why is the app solely focused on the rich white men from the civil war and earlier? There’s clearly a lot more in the cemetery, so it’s weird to focus so narrowly. For instance, what’s up with the Jewish cemetery? Could be interesting to talk about more.
Finally, and I know that the south does tend to have a... different... interpretation of the civil war, but to tell the story of an enslaved man taking actions to fight agains “northern oppression” is honestly insane. Like, I know you don’t want to focus on the atrocities of slavery, but if you’re gonna talk about it, don’t gloss over it like it was no big deal. And, if you’re going to talk about slavery, definitely don’t pick a story of a man who helped his enslaver as though he was a hero fighting for liberty, when he had no liberty himself.
Little pricey but cheaper than a tour
It’s a lot cheaper than a tour and had great information and fun facts that many of the other tours I’ve been on never mentioned. The person that mentioned it was narrow minded clearly didn’t go to the Jewish ones on the map because they were ones on there. “It’s rich white people” I don’t see how the tour guides could help that and the cemetery started from a group of rich white families in the 1800s, I’m not sure what diversity you expected to see. Anyways, I really enjoyed the different voices that told the stories as well. It’s not super accurate on the map locations but the voices tell you where to go next and with the names on all the plots it’s impossible not to find and gave us a game to find the next one so it wasn’t that difficult, people complaining are being a little ridiculous it’s not like it has to be there or it won’t play...
I used this today with my boyfriend at the Cemetery and while the information was neat, the app needs some fixes.
1. Update the text so the term “northern aggression” is removed in the description of the enslaved valet of one of the people buried in the cemetery.
2. Have a full, zoomable map in the app that people can use to find their way around. My boyfriend and I got lost through following the app’s directions.
3. Update the grave lot pictures so they reflect how they look now. We almost missed more than one grave of note because the graves were a lot cleaner in the app’s older pictures
4. Fix it so the app doesn’t completely drain a phone battery in less than 3 hours. Luckily I had my charger, but it was the only possible app that could’ve caused this issue
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bonaventure Historical Society, Inc
- 118.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Basque, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2021 Bonaventure Historical Society
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.