Bonsai Album makes keeping track of your Bonsai or Penjing collection easy. Track development of your trees throughout their lives, on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch!
Whether you're new to Bonsai, a collector, or a dealer, Bonsai Album is the ideal tool for organizing your trees, pots, and notes.
Here's what you can do with Bonsai Album:
- Record details about your trees, including age, source, style, species, and dimensions.
- Select from over 200 species names (with common and botanical names), or add new species.
- Store pot details, along with photos.
- Track styling, fertilizing, and other events for every tree and pot in dated log entries.
- Create and edit log entry reminders linked to your calendar.
- Add multiple photos per tree, pot and log entry.
- Add text captions for each photo.
- Select photos to appear on the main thumbnail display for each tree or pot.
- Scroll through photos in a full-screen gallery view, or in thumbnail form.
- View your bonsai and pot collections in table form, or by image.
- View the log history for each tree or pot, sorted by date.
- Review statistics for your collection.
- Protect your data with a passcode lock.
- iOS4 multitasking and Retina graphics support.
- Database backup, restore, import and export over WiFi to your computer's web browser.
- Transfer the complete database between devices (iPad / iPhone / iPod) over WiFi via Bonsai Album BDBI-format support.
- CSV format support to import / export your Bonsai Album database to and from desktop spreadsheet applications.
- Bonsai Report export feature. View your bonsai and pot collection on your computer’s web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes.
- iPad support at no extra charge!
Please note that Bonsai Album does not come preloaded with any photos, nor does it include any bonsai care information and so forth. It only tracks information and displays photos you’ve added yourself.
Please visit http://BonsaiAlbum.com for more information about Bonsai Album, including contact details to ask questions, request features, or report any issues. Join the Facebook page to discuss Bonsai Album with other fans.
Note: This update requires iOS 9 or higher!
- Improved iOS 14 support.
- Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Just about Perfect
This app lets you track pretty much everything imaginable for bonsai. It has preloaded categories to track (fertilized, repotted, etc.) and provides the option to add your own custom categories. The photo tracking is intuitive, though I haven’t found a way to sort photos by date to track progress over time. (You can link photos to your log, so it’s possible to do. I just don’t know a way to sort in photo view other than manually.)
As a database, this app is awesome. When you update anything, everything linked is updated. So if you change the name of a pot, the app automatically updates the bonsai linked to that pot. Basically, the app “just works.”
The only thing I might add is a way to create notes or logs on a global scale. For instance, I’d like a way to create one note that I fertilized all trees of a species on the same date and have the log available under each tree. This isn’t a dealbreaker to me though — bonsai is a slow, meticulous journey, and each plant demands its own care. Perhaps it’s best to take 30 seconds and write a journal entry for every tree, every time. :)
Disclaimer: I’m just beginning my bonsai journey. So there may be a formal method of journaling that I’m not aware of. However, this app is well-organized as a database app, and fits my needs perfectly.
Does everything I need it to do to track my trees and pots. Love being able to quickly and easily see the progression photos of each individual tree. When a glitch has happened developer has been super responsive. Great that you can buy once and install on both iphone and ipad and sync. Records are always at hand, even when I’m away from home.
Developer Response ,
Glad to hear you're enjoying the app, but one star seems a bit rough!
This is a great program. No more 3x5 note cards; no more separate photos. It’s all in one program. Write up your actions for future reference; make calendar events for future action. Track your trees, your pots, and your actions. Just wish they had option to record stands, viewing stones, or something that you have a further interest in. Unbelievable program for the price.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Andrew Nicolle
- 8.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2020 Andrew Nicolle
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.