A wonderful player for your M4B/M4A/MP3 based audiobooks.
– Using AirDrop from your Mac or iOS device
– From Files and other apps on your device
– Via File Sharing in iTunes on your Mac or PC
– Maintain and see progress of your books
– Mark books as finished
– Drag & Drop to sort your library
– Create playlists
– Automatically play items in turn
– Play the first unfinished file by tapping on the playlist artwork
– Move files to playlists from the library or import them directly
– Control audio playback from the lock screen or the control center
– Play and navigate books with Chapters
– Jump to start of the current book
– Change playback speed
– Smart rewind
– Volume Boost
– Support for remote events from headset buttons and the lock screen
– Sleep timer with adjustable duration
BookPlayer is licensed under GNU General Public License v3.0. The source code and a list of all its contributors can be found on the GitHub page of this project at www.github.com/TortugaPower/BookPlayer
For help and ways to contribute to the project see the support section in the Settings screen of BookPlayer or visit www.bookplayer.app
If you enjoy BookPlayer, we would be glad if you consider writing a review.
Bug-fixes and improvements
– Added support for importing folders
– Zip files are now erased properly after processing
– Interaction with the theme-brightness slider was improved
– Playback no longer stops after launching the app via a 3d-touch quick action from the home screen
– The screen won't lock as long as you're in the file-importer view
– Fixed multiple crashes, among those, one affecting iOS 10 devices when trying to import files
Don't forget to check what was introduced in 3.3.0:
Introducing: BookPlayer Plus
Support BookPlayer development and unlock more design options
– Colorful App Icon alternatives
– Additional color themes
– More extras will be added to future releases without the need for additional purchases.
BookPlayer will remain free and the free version will retain all features forever. We believe in Open Source and in free software. We also hope you enjoy it as much as we do and consider a donation to keep the lights on.
New features & Improvements
– Dark Mode
– Bulk edit the items in your library and playlists
– New layout and interaction for skip controls in the player
– 3D Touch Quick Actions for fast access to the most recent book
– Completion of a book is now tracked independently from a book’s progress
– More options are available by swiping left on a cell in both Library and Playlists
– Optional creation of a new Playlist when importing books while inside a playlist
– Stop at chapter boundaries when skipping
– Tip Jar
– Fixed a cancelled on-chapter-end sleep timer
– Fixed the layout of the book title and the author Miniplayer layout title issues
– Accessibility improvements inside the player interface
Ratings and Reviews
Simple, bugless, no annoying ads or pop ups.
This app is extremely simple. There are no ads, no glitches, and no pop ups. Pretty much nothing that annoyed me about the other 5 apps I tried. I have audio book files that I pulled off of CDs and uploaded to my google drive. They imported to this app from there easily. There are a million features that people might like which are missing from this app (pause from iPhone headphone button, select multiple files at a time, separate files from different books into their own folders, FFW/RWD) which I would've liked, but the features that it has work flawlessly. Namely, it remembers where you left off, allows control from lock screen, and doesn't have annoying bugs or ads. The worst annoyance that OTHER APPS tend to have is that they forget where I left off or skip around in between listenings. This app played exactly where I left off perfectly every time I opened the app. That reliability is my favorite thing about it. Following that, its simplicity and playback speed control make using it a very pleasant experience. As long as they keep these characteristics, this will be the only app I will ever use again for audiobooks. I very much enjoy how it is designed and functions. If they can add any of the missing features that I mentioned above while maintaining all of the positive characteristics, I'll be changing my review to five stars.
Developer Response ,
While folders are not available yet, BookPlayer now has support for playlists and remote controls as well as a brand new interface for adjustable forward and rewind. We hope you enjoy the upgrade.
I always support public domain developers. This is a great start. I’ve used and/or beta tested almost every audiobook player out there over the last several years starting back when Bookmarks was still around. There are lots of improvements I could suggest by cherry picking features of everything still out there but I will resist tabulating all these except one which is the need to be able to access audiobooks sync’d to the phone from iTunes to be played in the native iBooks app. Using iTunes file sharing or Dropbox etc. works but it’s way more steps than should be necessary. I know it can be done since AudBooks, Undulib, and Bookmobile can all do it (great pay apps btw). That said, this effort deserves support as it develops since in the end a solid free player continually updated has to be welcome. I’ve often thought I’d give Swift a try just to write an app identical to this. Now I see it’s flowering on github. Need a beta tester who listens daily? ;-).
Thanks! Keep it up.
The best audiobook app out there, but worried about future
This is my first comment for any app that I have ever downloaded. Seriously, it’s that good. I have tried many audiobook apps over the past couple years, and they all had something that annoyed me. Time limits for your audiobooks, hard to use and navigate, or difficult to import files. Not only does this app solve all of these problems, it is so amazingly designed you would think that apple made it themselves. The only thing that worries me about this app is that good free apps like these usually do not become free after a while, and features that used to be free are suddenly paid features. Developers, if you’re reading, please don’t take away any existing free features and make them paid. It’s how all good apps are ruined and makes the user base extremely angry. Other than that, amazing app. 5/5 no brainer
Developer Response ,
Hi Moustafa! We are glad that you're really enjoying the app, and we want to reassure you that we won't hinder the user experience by locking existing features behind a pay-wall. We believe in Open Source and in free software, and that's why we have our app's source code freely available for anyone to download, test and improve.
- Gianni Carlo
- 25.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Gianni Carlo
- In-App Purchases
- Kind tip $2.99
- Excellent Tip $4.99
- Incredible Tip $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.