Boop is an an app to detect levels of light and interpret this information with sound. It allows its blind and visually impaired users to detect whether lights are on or off. It covers a broad range of light levels which spans from sensing daylight through open windows to checking whether the indicator light is on for a wifi router.
How to use
- Open app and accept permissions to use camera (first time only)
- Point phone towards a light source
- Listen and feel as your phone changes tone and frequency of vibration while getting closer to the light
- Only the light level at the center of the camera (directly perpendicular to the phone face) is measured. Pointing the phone directly at the light source will get the highest reading.
- Volume control buttons on side of phone control Boop's playback volume
- Mute will completely turn off sound
- Toggle vibrate on or off manually with the switch at the bottom of the app
Voice over features
- 2 finger scrub to turn vibrate on or off
- 2 finger double tap to close app
- Tap center of app to read light level
Safety and Privacy
- Boop requests camera access to determine the amount of light in the center of the camera's field of view. It computes the luminescent score and does not save any images.
- Boop does not store any metadata or other user generated content. Boop does not have advertisements.
- Boop does not have any questionable content - it only displays two types of messages: luminescent readings and an error message when Boop does not have access to the camera.
For more information see our website: http://arii.github.io/boop/
Background and foreground transitions are handled. Sound is appropriately suppressed when exiting the app or reading a notification.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Boop light detector
I have tried several different light detectors, this is the easiest to use in the most accurate I have ever tried
VoiceOver issues with the latest version of this app
The latest version of this app does not work well at all with VoiceOver. The app also lags severely when vibration is on.
It's a veeeeery good app, very good job
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.