BrainWorks provides kids with the sensory breaks they need to function their best!
Occupational Therapists and other specialists often recommend “sensory breaks” to children with sensory processing disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, ADD, learning disabilities, and typically developing kids who struggle with certain forms of sensory input. Due to their sensory issues, these children often have difficulty remaining on task, engaging in social interactions, and may have frequent meltdowns. The pro-active use of sensory breaks can be a quick and effective way to prevent or minimize these issues. BrainWorks takes the guesswork out of what activities will be the most helpful to these children and allows parents and teachers to easily provide the much-needed sensory breaks!
The BrainWorks App comes fully loaded with over 200 sensory activities and more are being created on a regular basis. The app is fully customizable and is equipped with the following features:
• Locations – the app provides different default activity lists for the following five locations: Home, School, Community, Desk/Table, and Clinic. Location can be removed if not needed and location names and images can be customized.
• Sensory System Descriptions – After selecting his/her location, the child is asked to select how they are feeling by tapping the picture/title that best describes them at the moment: Just Right, Slow & Sluggish, Fast & Stressed, Fast & Hyper. For kids who are already familiar with the online version of BrainWorks or the physical BrainWorks products, a tachometer is next to each of the “Blue Guys” demonstrating the sensory speeds. The list of available activities will depend on the child’s sensory system selection. The sensory system descriptions and images are fully customizable.
• Activity Lists – the app provides a default visual list (picture and title) of activities that may be available in each of the four locations. The adult caregiver can easily remove activities from each list based on equipment availability and appropriateness for the user. Within the Settings mode, adults can read a description of the activity and see what equipment is needed for each one. Many activities do not require any equipment at all.
• Timer – the adult caregiver can determine the length of the sensory break (2 to 20 minutes). While using the app, the child will see a visual timer at the top of the screen counting down. The timer is optional and does not appear unless the adult selects it.
• Custom Activities – The adult caregiver can add sensory activities to the app by giving it a title, adding a photo, and picking which lists it should appear on.
* PLEASE NOTE: Set-up is required prior to use by a child. Adults should plan to spend 30 minutes customizing the app in order for the child (or children) to get the most out of it.
Thousands of kids are already using the research-based BrainWorks products in their classrooms and homes. The BrainWorks app was created to meet the demand for this product to be available anytime and anywhere!
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
* Ability to add custom activities
* Ability to add multiple users with unique activity lists
* Fully customizable location, feeling, and activity lists
Ratings and Reviews
This app is fantastic. It has a ton of activity ideas and when a child has sensory issues, it gives the child a choice of what they need. Very helpful for when a child is mad, frustrated or low..... They can communicated their needs at the time.
I'm glad to see an app for the sensory diet. I like that it can be customized by adding your own diet needs to the program. I do wish though that we could also edit "How do you feel?" so that each individual might better understand. Example Fast and Stressed may not be the best descripton for some when they are upset they may not understand fast and stressed.
The more an app can be customized the better it will enable it to meet the needs of each individual and this app is definetely on the right track. I see this as a good potential for working on self-regulation but see the need for a bit more customization to work for more individual's so they understand. I look forward to seeing more customizations being added in the near future.
Good APP needs some tweaks
Great function and icons. Love that I can add my own. But if kids are overwhelmed by too many choices , you have to go through each and every icon to turn them off in every setting. This takes forever. There is a metronome icon, it should be an actual metronome. The kids have it in hand already. There are icons for music. They should contain music options. The biggest pain is turning off the icons to reduce choices. I should be able to open a child's folder, then select on/off.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Sensational Brain, LLC
- 122.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Sensational Brain LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.