Breathable is a simple, friendly Air Quality Index (AQI) widget for all of your devices, with support for iOS, iPadOS and macOS.
A portion of proceeds from the sale of this app will be donated to one of several climate change foundations, including:
• Clean Air Task Force (catf.us)
• Climate Change Emergency Fund (climateemergencyfund.org)
• Union of Concerned Scientists (ucsusa.org)
Read more → breathable.app/donations
Air quality has become an increasing concern for many people around the globe. While stressing about it constantly isn't necessarily helpful, the goal of the Breathable widget is to provide a quick, glanceable answer to a new daily question: Is it safe to go outside?
Breathable can use AQI data from two services: IQAir.com and, optionally, AirNow.gov (in the USA). Both of these services offer free accounts and API access for personal use. Breathable uses the United States Air Quality Index for all values world-wide.
AQI is based on latitude and longitude coordinates and Breathable makes it simple to find coordinates for any area using device's current location, or by selecting a place on the world map. You can also search by postal code, place name, or partial or full address. Coordinates are only used to request AQI data and are never shared with Karbon or any other third-parties.
Customize how your widgets look by changing fonts, showing or hiding various bits of information, or by using Breathable's Emoji Scale to soften the reality of the smoky air around you. Customize Emoji Scale using one of our provided sets or choose your own emoji for each scale value!
Simply create your free API account, set your location, configure your widget, and add it to your device. Optionally, sync your API keys to iCloud to enable one-time API setup across all of your devices.
We wish Breathable didn't need to exist. Climate change is real and devastating, and we don't have much time left to stop it from becoming irreversible. Read. Get involved. Let's protect our planet and ourselves.
Completely overhauled the coordinates configuration view and functionality:
• When valid coordinates are entered, Breathable will now also provide a location description (for example: "Cupertino, CA") which will help you visually verify your coordinates are correct
• You can now search coordinates by typing in any part of a location—postal code, place name, or partial or full address
• Completely removed the optional ZipCodeAPI service from the app, as its no longer needed
• You can now verify your API keys to ensure they're entered correctly and functional
• Fixed a rare case where API keys might not be properly synced to iCloud
• Prevented a possible crash when entering an API key with bad characters
• Improved click targets in various areas of the Widget UI and Customize Emoji views
• Many future-looking improvements throughout the app for our friends living on the cutting edge of technology
• Replaced straight quotes with curly quotes throughout the app
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent app, bumpy start
This would be a great app if I could actually add the widget to my screen, but it doesn't even show in the list of available widgets to add. This is even after I've added and validated the API key, but I assume the dev who created this beautiful app wouldn't omit from the list until you've added the API key right? Even so, I added the key. The help for adding the widget (which I've done dozens of times, built-in and 3rd party) takes you to Apple's docs, so I'm assuming there's nothing special that needs to be done in order to get the widget on the list? I even use the widget search functionality to search for "Breathable" and notta.
UPDATE: Have no clue why this would happen (as I'm developer myself) but the widget finally (after 24 hours) appeared in the list. Not sure if this is an Apple or a Breathable issue. Nonetheless, this app is really well designed and usable.
Developer Response ,
Sorry you’re having trouble! I assure you we don’t keep the widgets from the list for any reason. The available widget lists on iOS and macOS can be a little... finicky. If you don't see Breathable in the list, try this:
- Restart your device
- Run the Breathable app once, visit the Widget UI tab and change one or two settings
- Check the system list of available widgets again
We're working on a brute-force fix for this in the app, but this appears to be an iOS-wide problem at the moment that can happen with any app.
Timely, beautiful, helpful
I was just looking for a widget like this one. It requires some work to set up, but that’s because of the advanced data sources required and not the developer's fault, and the app and its web page make the steps very clear, and web page helped me through an issue where the widget wasn’t available at first.
Once set up the first time it’s smooth sailing. This is as good a launch experience as I’ve had with something this complex!
iOS is glitchy, not the widget!
Just what I was looking for. Had to restart my device for the widget to show up in the Widget Center, though. On the developer’s website it says:
Open the Breathable app, visit the Widget UI tab, and change one or two settings. Background the app again, and this might convince Widget Center to show the widget.
Try restarting your device, then running the Breathable app once, then looking in the available widgets list again.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Karbon Works LLC
- 2.5 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Karbon
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.