Brewing with total confidence. The details make the difference between an average batch of home brew and a truly excellent brew that is repeatable. This app is a beer recipe calculator, brew session tracker, and brew log - all on your iPhone. This application is capable of syncing with the Brewer's Friend cloud solution (the application works by itself stand alone, but the sync requires a premium account at the site).
This application is ad free.
Main feature list for version 1.0:
* Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
* Fully supports metric units!
* Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
* OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
* Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
* Tells if recipe matches style.
* Pick the equations and units you prefer.
* No Chill – Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
* Target 'to the fermentor' or 'to the kettle' batch sizes.
* Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
* Tracks what phase the brew is in.
- Adds a brew timer feature.
- Recipe sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- Brew session sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- User interface updates, sorting of recipes and brew sessions, performance improvements.
- Adds support for: hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section. Improves recipe listing view (shows snapshot indicator, index added).
- Adds stand alone calculators.
- 70 + yeasts added. Brands include: East Coast Yeast, Mangrove Jack, Real Brewers, Siebel Institute, and Brewferm. Make sure to upgrade now if you plan to use these and sync with the cloud. (Sync requires premium account.)
- Adds stand alone calculators: Brix/Plato to SG Calculator and Dilution / Boiloff Calculator.
- Support for batch target 'kettle' mode added for Extract and Partial Mash recipes.
- Cloud sync improvements.
- BJCP 2015 Guidelines added and fixed syncing of styles with cloud
- Updates to ingredient database
- Visual fixes to scrolling and stability in various places
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Thanks for using Brewer's Friend! To improve the app (and our beer) we routinely release small bug fixes and improvements.
In this version:
- Updates to ingredients for Yeast, Fermentables, and Hops
- Minor improvements to work with latest iOS versions
Ratings and Reviews
Great App for smart phone- internet connection, but works well internet-free
A great handy App for Brewers, both for composing recipes to a BJCP STYLE and to have at hand on brew day. I learned about it from Brewer’s Friend Free, and it’s well worth the $5.00 USD. It could use updates (no kveik yeast options), but quite handy when away from internet connection. Other brewing software may give estimates (OG, FG, IBUs, SRM, etc.) a little different, but this App puts the recipe design in the ballpark. Brewers Friend has a Gold level with $/ month to give access to web-based support, but this valuable App can store recipes locally, very handy to look back to “how I brewed it last time”, without going back to one’s brewing logbook. If the stand-alone app ($5.00) is imperfect, it is well worth the one-time investment. It was initially recommended to me by a home brewer of longer standing, and is well respected by many in homebrewing circles.
Great simple brewing tool.
First the associated website is amazing and in depth providing any tool a home brewer could want. The app is a much slimmer tool but provides the means for creating and logging effectively no matter how advanced or new to brewing you may be. My complaints are a lack of ability to save created/custom ingredients so they’re reusable in another recipe vs having to recreate x-ingredient in the new recipe. Additionally the ingredients don’t seem to have been updated in quite some time. A ‘save as’ function would also be appreciated to aid in creating new iterations of a beer, example: turning an ipa into a mango ipa.
Needs updating and a few more features!
I rely on this app every time I do a brew day. Incredibly handy to make modifications at my LHBS as I change my mind or based on the availability of ingredients. A couple things I wish would be updated: 1) I wish I could turn on auto-syncing. I can’t tell you the number of times I made an update only to overwrite it later by accident from the web UI. 2) ingredient search. 3) It’s built for smaller screens. 4) It’s lagging behind the web updates, which break recipes. For instance, adding the updated Lupulin Pellets in the web UI will give you an error when you try to save an update in the app. This last one made me move my ranking from a 4 to a 3 since it’s caused a lot of frustration.
I like this app but since I pay for this service, I have higher standards for what to expect with regular updates. The app owner needs to consider breaking web changes as well. If the app is deprecated, please tell us.
The developer, Brewer's Friend, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- BREWER'S FRIEND LLC
- 5.3 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Brewer's Friend LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.