Brushes Redux is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes Redux is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 4096x4096
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
- The black artifacts are finally gone thanks to Patrice Kouame (SpiraMira)
- iPad Pro support
- Apple Pencil experimental support
- Better export support, which means you can now AirDrop, export to other apps directly from Brushes
- Import of editable Brushes files. Now you can open painting via AirDrop, from e-mails and continue working on the painting
- Enabled iTunes File Sharing to be able to access your paintings from a computer
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Lifesaving Art App
It's about time I write a review, since Brushes 3.0 and Brushes Redux have both been so significant in my Art and my life.
BRUSHES 3.0: When I had a bad hip and had trouble and pain standing at my easel or at a table to paint, Brushes 3.0 "bridged" me all the way through surgery and recovery - serving as my main art tool. I used Brushes 3.0 to create hundreds of digital paintings which I was able to print up to a size of 18x24!
Fast forward several years...although I was able to export most of my 3.0 creations, with advancing iOS platforms I lost the ability to access or use the app.
Enter...BRUSHES REDUX: I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (blood cancer) last year (2017), and was inpatient being treated for 108 nights over 8 months. This time, it was Brushes Redux that truly provided me with the artistic freedom to continue creating art from my hospital bed. Now, more than 250 creations later, I still use it frequently even though I'm totally mobile again.
I've even postponed upgrading my iPhone 7+ to iOS 11 since I'm not sure Brushes Redux will work with it - or with iOS 12. If anyone - esp developer- could let users know, it would be deeply appreciated. Thank you for this wonderful app.
Thank you for developing this app!
I used to use the other Brushes app, and I was devastated when the other app did not work anymore. I tried to find an app equivalent to it, but nothing compared. I would give you ten stars if I could. I use this app every day to plan my oil paintings. This app is simple to use, there is no need to put in extra anything. My oil paintings get rave reviews because of this app. I usually put in the half finished painting and use this app to correct the values, lines, composition, etc. Please always keep this app updated and never let it go by the wayside like the origional.
Um.. this app is... AMAZING
Okay okay... listen up. I have used this app for a while, on mobile device. No pencils, or stuff just my bare hands. People who say this bug happens with Apple Pencil, should just stop using apple pencil on Brushes Redux! I mean, this app is way beyond awesome. Oh quick question.. who did the apple drawing- you know the first painting you get? Who made that? They are good drawers! Okay, well back to the app. The color picker, I have found some BEAUTIFUL colors, and honestly, I think the rating shouldn’t be 3.5. It should be more like 5! I recommend this app for artists, please take this review into mind! :3
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.