Join the growing number of pilots who have registered for free on BuddyFlight™ and never fly alone again! Search and easily connect with pilots in your area using BuddyFlight™.
If you’re a private pilot, commercial pilot, student pilot, helicopter pilot, or even fly gliders and sport aircraft, BuddyFlight™ was made for you! By registering for free on BuddyFlight™, you can schedule buddy requests that will immediately send notifications out to all other registered pilots at your airport or flight school. You will also be able to browse other pilot’s buddy requests and receive notifications regarding new pilot requests through Apple’s iOS notifications.
Additionally, BuddyFlight™ enables you to filter the list of all registered pilots either in your immediate area or up to 1,000 miles away! You can filter your search by pilot credentials and ratings, geo location, aircraft type, as well as BuddyFlight™ user ratings in order to find the exact pilot you're looking for.
Key features of connecting with other pilots using BuddyFlight™:
Increase Your Geo Airspace
Sharing costs with a flight buddy can enable longer flights for the same cost – expanding your geo airspace!
Save on Costs
Buddying-up with another pilot or student pilot can save you both time and money.
Ease of Use
BuddyFlight™ is simple to use. Connect with a pilot, make a buddy request, or join a buddy request in seconds!
Chat & Notifications
Message with your connected buddies. Send request notifications to pilots in your area!
Ratings and Discovery
User ratings build trust – allowing you to confidently browse and connect with other pilots at various levels. Find a mentor or be a mentor to others.
Additional Benefits and Details:
• Potential money savings, both directly by splitting flight time with another student/pilot and indirectly through increased training efficiency of ride-a-longs or discovery flights – so when you actually start flying and paying for instruction you will be more familiar and confident.
• A parallel can be made between flight buddies and aircraft crew. Most of the advantages would translate directly:
• Increased safety (two sets of eyes looking for traffic, someone to catch potential mistakes you're making, etc.)
• Increased capability working as a team – it's easier to go to more complicated airspace when one person does the flying while the other runs radios and handles navigation. Also, in an emergency situation, it is much better to have someone flying the aircraft while the other person is working on emergency procedures.
• CRM (working as a flight crew) is an important component of commercial flight training. The more experience you have flying with other people, the better crew member you will be. If you’re planning on flying for a living, CRM training is crucial.
• Simulated Instrument time. Very beneficial as pilots split the cost while logging more flight time – one pilot logs simulated instrument, the other logs PIC (pilot in command) time. Great for building up flight hours.
• Splitting costs allows for longer flights. For example, two independent hour-long rentals can get the aircraft 30 minutes from the airport twice. Two people splitting the rental can get you an hour away from the airport for the same money.
• The increase in accessible geography by splitting costs with a buddy and flying twice as far offers exciting geographic opportunities.
• Flying with another pilot on a regular basis can push you into being a more proficient and confident pilot.
– Now FREE! Starting with this version (1.5) BuddyFlight is now completely free!
– Unicode support
– UI enhancements
– Miscellaneous bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Not free, subscription to do anything
I installed the app and noticed limited pilots registered in my area. I live in a major metropolitan area. Was surprised at the lack of people. I received two requests from other pilots and when trying to accept them was alerted to a subscription fee to do so.
Trying to ask a question on their comment form does not work either.
The program has potential but should look to free services to build a base of pilots. To be dinged a small amount monthly for little to no interaction is pointless. Great app, poor marketing.
Developer Response ,
Hello and thanks for your comments. BuddyFlight™ is a very new App and is building registered pilots every day but our budget is tight at this time and 1-Star negative reviews only hurt adoption.
Most of the App is free. Only when pilots are ready to connect does it require a purchase plan starting at 1-Month for $.99. It's actually not a subscription.
I'm glad you see the potential in BuddyFlight™ and that you think it's a great app but I hope you, and other pilots, will encourage others to add themselves to our database by downloading and registering on the app. It's completely free to do so. Just wait it out a little longer and the user-ship (and value) will grow. No money is required to be on BuddyFlight™ and search the database.
Regarding the comment form on our website... I've received other inquiries and just tested it myself. Can you email your question to email@example.com and also let me know what you experienced with the form? Also, let me know what city you are located in and I will focus some advertising in that area specifically.
Stephen @ BuddyFlight™
Says free, still mandating donation.
After installing it first time, I was disappointed because it was a paid subscription app. I stopped using it, then I saw an announcement that it was changed to free service. I tried once more, only to find that it was still MANDATING donations to connect to other pilots. What is free in a connecting app if donation is mandated to connect??
Developer Response ,
Thank you for alerting us to your issue. Did you try deleting the app and then redownloading? If you continue experiencing the same mandatory request to pay, let us know through our feedback form on the app or through our contact form on our website at https://www.buddyflightapp.com. Again, you should not be experiencing a mandatory pay request. It should let you make the connect request without paying.
Password manager support
Wouldn’t let me paste into the password fields on signup or use iOS password manager integrations. Abandoned my signup as a result. May try back in the future to check out the app but for now it’s not worth using a crummy password or typing it manually. I’m lazy
Developer Response ,
This is now fixed in version 1.5.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.