► option for custom-made spelling lists from the pool of 800+words
► HISTORY follows progress for individual students
► focus on identifying sounds of letters (North American phonemes )
► audio and/or visual prompt
► PROFESSIONAL narration or child’s narration
► Multiple Word Lists
► optional Montessori-style color coding vowels and consonants
► upper or lower case letters
► three modes: Learn, Practice and Test (quiz)
► immediate sound feedback upon tapping the correct/incorrect letter
► positive reinforcement lowers affective filters making learning a more engaging and enjoyable process
► focus on letter recognition, word recognition, as well as on word/letter association
► ACCESSIBILITY options to for VISUALLY impaired and those struggling with fine motor skills
► option of custom made features for special needs students
► child proof SETTINGS button (press&hold)
► narration of phonemes based on Peter Ladefoged's studies in Phonology with emphasis on American English
Advantage for Special Need Students:
* option of blank background helps children focus on letters only
* option to choose high-contrast background for visually impaired students
* answer method: drag&drop or simple tap
* big letter cards easy to spot
* no frustration: visual and audio prompts in the Learn Mode lead the child step by step through the correct spelling process
* correct spelling technique becomes salient since the app leads the child step by step through spelling allowing dragging one letter at a time in the correct order
* any number of redundant letters: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
* wrong letters become obvious with the help of immediate sound feedback heard after tapping the wrong letter
* repetition of audio prompt helps with hearing and remembering the word and letters
The underlying pedagogical methodology for this application is to teach children letters as well as to teach them how to combine letters into words. A child is offered either/both a visual prompt or/and audio prompt to "write" a word. The word is to be written by dragging appropriate letters one at a time in the designated slot in the correct order. Success is rewarded by a short fun game.
@Reks (aka AtReks) Apps are designed in compliance with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA).
- Does NOT contain ads.
- Does NOT contain in-app purchases.
- Does NOT contain integration with social networks.
- Does NOT use analytics / data collection tools.
- Does include links to apps by @Reks in the iTunes App Store hidden in the settings section behind child-proof settings button
Fully functional Word Search Game
Ratings and Reviews
Speech-Language Pathologist reports ....
...that this is a multipurpose application that appears to be perfect for all facets of education. I incorporate literacy into the goals and objectives for the students and this seems to have all the components I look for in an application. This is easy to program, collect, data, and is engaging. I might have found my favorite application designer.
Good Concept, Poor Pronunciation
I love the idea. Played it a bit to try it out, and the learn and practice sections are great. The irritating part is how some of the sounds are pronounced. The 'th' sounds more like a 'ch' or 'sh' sound, the 'a' almost sounds more like a short e sound, and the 'w' sounds like the 'oo' sound. I tried to get past it, but can't. Maybe there were others too, but those grated on me the worst. I can't imagine handing it to my child to have them practice phonics when the sounds aren't even right.
Perfect for students with visual and motor challenges!
I love this app! You can set it for high contrast mode. You can limit the letters to just the ones you need. You can set it to tap or drag the letters into place. And you can make your own spelling lists.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.