we're bringing back 6-second looping videos and the community that loved them.
you know the drill: upload from your camera roll or use the byte camera to capture stuff. stay under the time limit and get lost in the loop. explore what's loved by the community, handpicked by our human editors, or just served up at random. there are lots of ways to discover surprising new personalities, voices, and moments.
byte celebrates life, community, and pure creativity.
nostalgia is our starting point, but where we go next is up to you. to add your perspective, join our forum (community.byte.co) or leave a review and let us know what you'd like to see. everyone says it, but we really mean it: we read *everything*.
hello! thanks for a great first week. this update has a few features and fixes you've been asking for:
* added the ability to copy and share links to bytes
* added a way to view your followers and people you're following. use the "..." button from your profile
* added the ability to pause bytes by tapping and holding on them
* added settings to control audio volume when viewing comments: default (do nothing), quiet (lower audio when viewing comments), mute (silence audio when viewing comments)
* changed like and comment #'s above 1000 be abbreviated as 1K, etc.
* fixed an issue with bytes randomly pausing in some instances
* you can now tap the blank area to dismiss search on the explore tab
* you can now tap the explore icon when you have the explore tab open to scroll to the top
* an issue that caused comments to jump around when leaving them should be fixed
more on the way!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Off to a good start!
I’m so happy that I’m “back in the loop!” 🤪 Seriously though, byte has the potential to bring back all the fun and feels that we had with Vine. I say potential because there are a couple things that I feel need improvement. First, I didn’t understand that the lightening bolt was where we can view comments & who is following us. Second, I don’t understand the rating system in my stats. I’d prefer this experience to not be a contest of sorts. I think that could take away from creativity and just having fun. One more thing; because of the framing of uploads (i.e., portrait mode), it’s a bit to, “in your face” and not all videos fit/fill the space properly. I’m more fond of landscape mode as it’s easier on the eyes and more realistic I suppose. Anyhoo, this is why I gave a 4 star instead of 5. I’m sure when all the bugs are worked out and such, I’ll be back to update my review. 🙂
Rad App for creativity and collaboration
Byte is bringing back the six second loops but going above and beyond this time by creating a community where you are involved and engage with the creators and developers via an open to all community forums website. It’s very cool to give the users a voice, but more importantly... even cooler to see the process of the app evolve with complete transparency. Im talking about an app that actually cares about you and listens to you instead of just accumulating and selling all of your information while simultaneously trying to bombard you with ads.
With so many options for social media platforms these days it’s refreshing to have an app that is stripped down to the basics encouraging the users to actually get creative! I’m always blown away at the talent that can come from a six second video and it’s incredible to see how that 6 second video can inspire others and then evolve into something bigger. I’m excited to see what the future holds for Byte. I believe that it will be a great success.
Vine was popular because anybody could make anything and become famous. Now what we have are the people who killed off Vine flocking back to the app making the exact same boring content they used to make 6 years ago. It seems very forced. Like all of the past content creators were reached out to and asked to post on the app. I have no problem with that directly, but the people they seem to have chosen are really annoying, unoriginal, and honestly unfunny. Thank goodness they allow you to block accounts. I got on the app for less than an hour and I already have 10 accounts or so blocked so I’m not forced into seeing their garbage content. The reason Tik Tok works so well is because it takes literally nothing other than posting a video to have a chance at going viral. I personally never making content, but i prefer new people with new content as opposed to people we all watched 6 years ago who are out of ideas. I was happy to see they were making essentially “Vine 2” but it’s basically just a bunch of “self claimed comedians”. I guess we got what we asked for.
- Byte Inc.
- 50.9 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2020 Byte Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.