we're bringing back 6-second looping videos and the community that loved them.
you know the drill: upload from your camera roll or use the byte camera to capture stuff. stay under the time limit and get lost in the loop. explore what's loved by the community, handpicked by our human editors, or just served up at random. there are lots of ways to discover surprising new personalities, voices, and moments.
byte celebrates life, community, and pure creativity.
nostalgia is our starting point, but where we go next is up to you. to add your perspective, join our forum (community.byte.co) or leave a review and let us know what you'd like to see. everyone says it, but we really mean it: we read *everything*.
hello again! this update has a bunch of new features and fixes you've been asking for:
* added new feed called Your Mix to the main tab which recommends bytes to you
* added "zen mode", which turns off numbers and other distractions. it's on by default in Your Mix but can be turned on everywhere or turned off entirely
* audio on new bytes has been changed to stereo and compression quality has been increased
* video quality on bytes made with the in-app camera has been increased a bit as well
* added a self timer to the camera
* you can now save a byte to your camera roll before posting it by using the "..." menu on the preview screen
* you can now filter the activity tab by comments/likes/follows/mentions
* byte.co links will now open in the app
* the follow button now shows if someone is following you ("follow back") or if you are following each other ("mutuals")
* you can now copy a link to someone's profile from the "..." menu
* the date a byte was posted is now viewable from the comments/details screen
* commas for numbers above 1,000 have been added to loop counts and your stats
* fixed a bug that caused loop counts to be underreported. this fix will apply to new loops going forward
* the player will now start over and continue playing after 25 loops
* fixed a bug that caused bytes to pause when inserting/removing headphones
* profile feeds scroll with fewer hiccups
* sharing bytes over text has been improved
* the watermark on saved bytes no longer says beta (whoops!)
coming next: hashtags, grid view, new creation tools and way more on the way!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Off to a good start!
I’m so happy that I’m “back in the loop!” 🤪 Seriously though, byte has the potential to bring back all the fun and feels that we had with Vine. I say potential because there are a couple things that I feel need improvement. First, I didn’t understand that the lightening bolt was where we can view comments & who is following us. Second, I don’t understand the rating system in my stats. I’d prefer this experience to not be a contest of sorts. I think that could take away from creativity and just having fun. One more thing; because of the framing of uploads (i.e., portrait mode), it’s a bit to, “in your face” and not all videos fit/fill the space properly. I’m more fond of landscape mode as it’s easier on the eyes and more realistic I suppose. Anyhoo, this is why I gave a 4 star instead of 5. I’m sure when all the bugs are worked out and such, I’ll be back to update my review. 🙂
Rad App for creativity and collaboration
Byte is bringing back the six second loops but going above and beyond this time by creating a community where you are involved and engage with the creators and developers via an open to all community forums website. It’s very cool to give the users a voice, but more importantly... even cooler to see the process of the app evolve with complete transparency. Im talking about an app that actually cares about you and listens to you instead of just accumulating and selling all of your information while simultaneously trying to bombard you with ads.
With so many options for social media platforms these days it’s refreshing to have an app that is stripped down to the basics encouraging the users to actually get creative! I’m always blown away at the talent that can come from a six second video and it’s incredible to see how that 6 second video can inspire others and then evolve into something bigger. I’m excited to see what the future holds for Byte. I believe that it will be a great success.
Vine was popular because anybody could make anything and become famous. Now what we have are the people who killed off Vine flocking back to the app making the exact same boring content they used to make 6 years ago. It seems very forced. Like all of the past content creators were reached out to and asked to post on the app. I have no problem with that directly, but the people they seem to have chosen are really annoying, unoriginal, and honestly unfunny. Thank goodness they allow you to block accounts. I got on the app for less than an hour and I already have 10 accounts or so blocked so I’m not forced into seeing their garbage content. The reason Tik Tok works so well is because it takes literally nothing other than posting a video to have a chance at going viral. I personally never making content, but i prefer new people with new content as opposed to people we all watched 6 years ago who are out of ideas. I was happy to see they were making essentially “Vine 2” but it’s basically just a bunch of “self claimed comedians”. I guess we got what we asked for.
- Byte Inc.
- 51 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2020 Byte Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.