Byword makes writing easier on your iPhone and iPad.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing with Markdown easier
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Take all documents offline to access them anytime
- Filter documents by searching all text (Find & Replace inside documents coming soon)
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export Markdown documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Optimized for iOS 13
- Dark mode support to match iOS preference;
- Search documents directly from iOS Spotlight;
- Multitasking and split screen on iPad;
- Shortcuts to create new document and access most recent documents right from application icon.
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Publishing your story with Byword is as simple as:
1. Write in Byword
2. Open Tools and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- TextExpander snippet expansion
- Word and character counters with live update
- Extensive VoiceOver support for visual impaired users
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Keyboard shortcuts for formatting and navigating between screens
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces and risking losing your work
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Rich text warning
Byword for iOS only works with plain text formats. Supported file extensions are: txt, text, md, mmd, rmd, markdown, markdn, mdown, mkdn, markd and fountain.
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support. If you need help and/or have suggestions, please contact us using the mediums below.
Fix for the 'New Document' button not working in some cases
Ratings and Reviews
Like iOS version
I feel iOS version is better than Mac version. Would love to see a safety mechanism from deleting files or folders by accident. As of right now, all you have to do is swipe a file or folder to expose the delete button. One touch and file is gone. I accidentally deleted a file once from grazing the button by accident. There needs to be a pop up menu or something to prevent that. Thanks for listening
Only practical for Markdown users
Been using the Desktop version for several months now. Really enjoyed writing Rich text based documents on my computer with this app. When I finally bit the bullet and purchased the iOS Version, I unfortunately discovered after the purchase that the iOS version does not support Rich text. That detail was at the very bottom of the description and to be fair I made an assumption that the iOS version of the app would work the same as the desktop version. I can’t understand why rich text is not supported, and if I had known (I guess it’s my bad for not reading every single bit of description all the way to the very bottom) that I would be unable to sync those types of documents across devices, I would’ve gone with a different platform.
Please Byword, if you’re reading this just add rich text support already, you’ll make your user base much happier and then we don’t have to write dumb reviews like this one...
Great Mac App, pretty good iOS app
Byword is my go-to distraction free writing app on the Mac and I used it on iOS for a while— but unfortunately the slow Dropbox syncing led me to explore other solutions for iOS. It seems like updates this year might have fixed this so hopefully it’s better now.
I had Byword configured for a Dropbox folder that I use for journal entries and it has a couple hundred markdown files in it plus two sub folders with some text, markdown and a couple of old rtf (rich text) files in them. When I opened up Byword it would hang on ‘Downloading items’ or ‘Syncing Items’ for minutes and it made me nervous to open recent files and create possible conflicts in my Dropbox. That was a big blocker when I just wanted to open the app and start writing. I recently reinstalled the app and also removed the rtf files from this Dropbox folder (just in case) and things seem to be better— fingers crossed.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Metaclassy, Lda
- 9.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.