It's proven that practicing calligraphy can quickly improve bad handwriting by a better understanding of letters' structure and proportion. Writing bigger letters helps to make curves and lines correctly. The beauty of the letters will make the task of writing more pleasant.
Calligraphy is also a very constructive leisure. It develops virtues such as patience, attention to detail, perfection, willingness to learn, and the sense of beauty.
Calligraphy is a full art form using letters, words and illuminations. It’s also a meditation process when your mind focuses on the strokes, beautifully draw lines and curves, following your intuition and inspiration.
The only pre-requirement to this art is the knowledge of writing, which everyone is proficient. Calligraphy has a high potential of discoveries, it’s one of the rare art form that you can start from a basis you already know: writing letters and words.
1/ CALLIGRAPHY HANDBOOK is a perfect tool for learning and improving your calligraphy skill. As a beginner, the app will provide the best digital pens and papers for your learning. Don’t waste paper and ink now, digital tools are endlessly renewable. As a confirmed calligrapher, you will find pen and color effects that are impossible to create in real life: 6 small parallel lines, 4 size-lines, light effect pen, shaded line, rainbow effect, mixed colors in one stroke, alternated colors in one letter…
2/ CHALLENGE your friends in different writing styles, or simply evaluate your skill with the incredible calligraphy game. Reproduce a model inside a limited space, with a limited number of strokes, and see how many stars you can gain. Avoid actions as: undo, exceeding strokes or using tracing image. Otherwise your score will be heavily cut down.
3/ WRITING TOOLS:
- 11 calligraphic pens
- 1 pointed pen
- 12 mixed colors effects
- 12 alternated colors effects
- 1 eraser
- Smoothed strokes for all pens, let you draw perfect curves and lines.
NOTE: we have intentionally made the strokes slower and smoother, because drawing beautiful letters has to be done in a slower speed compared to handwriting or painting. Calligraphy is a highly relaxing activity, a slow motion is the best for it.
Writing features and supplies:
- 19 calligraphic hands in a large choice of styles (more hands are coming with future updates)
- Old papers
- Guiding lines
- Shadowed letters for tracing
- 24 preset pen angles
- 63 premixed colors
- Export your writing to the camera roll or by email.
- Palm rejection
- Pen offset
4 / ARTISTIC CREATION. Calligraphy Handbook is a truly comprehensive tool for creating calligraphic works (greeting card, invitation, letterhead, logo, brochure, magazine cover, etc ...
- Users can create true works of art with all the calligraphic tools.
- An entire page is provided with layers management.
- A gallery to save works in progress.
- The gallery is organized by blocks, each block contains an unlimited number of pages.
- The works and the blocks can be exported and shared in png or pdf formats.
- Shadows and texture can be added to your lettering.
- Draw your letters very very SLOWLY.
- Take a long breathe before a long stroke, then expire slowly and regularly while drawing.
- Take a comfortable sitting position.
- Clean up your screen frequently.
- When following the lessons in this app, don’t pressure yourself to immediately draw perfect letters, but simply follow your intuition and focus on the movement of the strokes. It’s not so important to get completely correct letters, don’t forget, it’s not typography.
- Relax yourself before starting a calligraphy session, you will have better strokes. Stretch and simply shake your hands and shoulders. Take a comfortable sitting position.
- Renewed color palette
- Add stylish textures to your lettering: art deco, art nouveau, retro style, tribal art, hatching patterns. Function accessible from the "layers menu".
- Add shadows to your drawings. Adjust blur, opacity and position to the shadows.
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This app is wonderful, it walks you through perfectly for a beginner or you can dive in if you've studied before. I've been looking to study calligraphy for years, and I'm tired of plain cursive. I've had everything I need for a long time but didn't have enough knowledge to execute the letters correctly. I'm a visual learner and I've learned more on this app in 5 mins than I have reading books I had to pay for. I need to get an apple pen because my little tablet pen isn't working as good as it could be, but I am so excited to keep learning and finally be able to write in my book of shadows and have it look beautiful. Thank you so much for this app!
DO NOT HESITATE!!!!
DO NOT HESITATE TO BUY THIS APP!!!! At first I thought it would be stupid like most of the other calligraphy apps. But, when I went in the app it was amazing. There are different brush and angle settings, you can trace over the shapes, and there are many different fonts for the calligraphy. But, one flaw (in my opinion) is that in the main level (I think) there is a score and it does not let you pass to the next letter unless you score is very high (not sure exactly because I never passed (b.) ) But, there is a level/stage where you can either just practice the letters or start from the beginning completely with techniques etc. (ect. I’m not sure)
This Is The One
You know how you download a bunch of apps looking for the one that’s going to work best and then delete all the ones that did not work… well, this is the one you’re going to keep. How it works: It allows you to first trace the letters and then leaves you to do it without tracing. The challenges help you get precise because you’re being graded and if you get the letter wrong, it resets until you’ve got it down. It also shows you several different styles and it teaches you how different angles of the quill, or calligraphy pen, affect the letter. It is worth the money.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Etienne Nguyen Tan Hon
- 195 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Topdune Studio 2016
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock All Features $3.99
- Type and trace words or sentences $0.99
- Full Calligraphy Tool Set $0.99
- Italic Pack 1 $0.99
- Old Hands Pack 1 $1.99
- Gothic Hands Pack 1 $1.99
- Layers and artwork gallery $1.99