Most of penmen use only a pointed pen to create all their artworks. This seems incredible to realize digitally on a mobile device. Except if you have in hands the appropriate tool and an excellent app.
Calligraphy Penmanship is bringing the best experience ever to calligraphers and letters lovers to create digital artworks on a famous mobile device.
Just use it like a pointed ink pen. A tiny variation of your hand pressure will create elegant and majestic shades.
We have added a bonus to your freehand drawing: the ability to adjust to your hand the pressure and smoothness of the pen. The fineness of the strokes is really surprising.
We have found some advantages of the digital Penmanship:
- You don't need to reload your pen with ink.
- You don't need to clean your pen nibs when changing the colors.
- The undo function let you create a great number of variation of a single stroke. Free your imagination without pain.
- Flourished hands to learn and practice Penmanship. The most important technique to master is to push or pull your pencil in order to create thin and fat lines in one single stroke.
- Learning: you can evaluate your progress with stroke by stroke exercises. Try your best to trace the models and hit the high scores. This is the best way to understand the anatomy of each letter. and each decorative curve.
- Training: with each letter, a full training page provides models to trace, guide lines and grids.
- Learn to decorate beautifully your lettering works. You can find simple patterns to trace, to change or to improve. With this updated version, you have the ability to create ornamental frames where to insert your works.
Frame creating is based on a multiple combination of different types of symmetry drawing. This function is really easy to understand and practice.
- Want to create your own lettering words and quotes ? Try out the text typing keyboard. How it works: type your text, validate, then trace them with embellishments and ornaments.
- A set of plain color for your pen. But also two specific effects: gradient and alternated colors. This is on of our best deal for unique lettering creations.
- A 3 day free trial is activated when you open the app for the first time. Enough time to have the pleasure to perform your lettering.
What's your next project ? Why not sending a beautifully framed quote or invitation to a friend, entirely created with your lettering ?
Warning: even you can draw with your fingers, this app offers the best experience with the Apple Pencil.
- Add stylish textures to your lettering: art deco, art nouveau, retro style, tribal art, hatching patterns.
- Add shadows to your drawings. Adjust blur, opacity and position to the shadows.
- Select your stroke style: freehand curves or constrained lines.
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I love all the variety the paid version of the app offers. It’s not very user friendly at first to figure everything out but I caught on quickly. My only con is the sidebar stays on the left side, which puts me, a lefty, at a weird angle. I wish you had the option to switch it to the right side.
Love the app, but....
First of all, I love this app, I love how it’s layout allows you to actually practice on the screen....I have not found any other apps that allow you to do that, bravo!!!
And with that being said, I do not mind paying the fees for all three of your Calligraphy apps, because I have actually learned a lot from them, well done!
Now for the but..., I was not having any problems with them until your last update 10 months ago, in the Handbook when I am in the words section, I will be writing and all of a sudden the line strike goes crazy as I am writing. And then the app closes down.
In the Art version one, in the Young Love option for letter type, in were you get to YZabc, the entire grid with the lettering to practice on is missing. And on the Penmanship one, I have not run into any problems yet, it even responds to my Apple Pencil with no problems.
Time trial time period wasn’t clear.
I had downloaded the app a week ago, and I must have opened it to check it out, and for what ever reason, couldn’t start using that moment. Fast forward a week, I sit down to use the app, I open it up, and every single box I touch tells me I have to pay $4 to use it. My first thought was that the “free” version was just a way to get me to download it, and I’d have to pay money to use it, while left a bad taste in my mouth.
Then I started reading reviews, and say there was a 72 hour trial. Knowing that didn’t make me feel any better because I didn’t see anywhere that said the moment I open the app for the first time, the 72 hour countdown clock begins on the free trial. So when I opened the app a week later, my trial was over.
I’m certainly not paying $4 for an app that I can’t try first. My advice to anyone wanting to try it is to make sure you don’t open the app until your ready to use it enough times with in the timed trial to know if you want to purchase it.
For me, I’m sure there’s small print somewhere in the App Store description that says there’s a 72 hour trial period, and possibly somewhere that says the trial start the second you open the app for the first time, but it wasn’t apparent to me, and def wasn’t mentioned when I opened the app, and not knowing the countdown began, I missed the 72 hour window, so I’m deleting the app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Etienne Nguyen Tan Hon
- 124.6 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © Topdune Studio 2016
- In-App Purchases
- Penmanship unlock all features $2.99
- Penmanship:unlock all features $2.99