Most Calypso users appreciate the scores in the powerful Songbooks viewer and consider the fake book support (aka Real Books) a nice addition. However, jazz musicians consider the viewer of the Fakebooks to be the best part of Calypso. It allows you to quickly select the best sheet music from all of your fakebooks out of 10,000 compositions.
This feature-rich music score tool provides you with some unique capabilities:
• the animated two-page layout of your music scores as you play
• no page turnings required and no distracting scrolling
• assign an original recording to your score and
• easily sync the music with your score - tap on a bar to listen to the music at that bar
• playback the music at a slower tempo for practicing and/or change the pitch
• with support for many popular fake books, you're best prepared for the next session - better than your old gig books.
• Calypso also knows 100+ Aebersold PDFs. Assign your play-along to the music score and learn the jazz.
Please note that Calypso does not provide you with Fakebooks or Aebersold PDFs!
• put all your music sheets into your iPad
• organize your scores into pretty looking songbooks
• make setlists and mail them to your bandmates
• record your practices and play them back to your teacher
• annotate your teacher's hints or your conductor's instructions
• take a photo of new scores right at your rehearsal
ANIMATED TWO-PAGE LAYOUT
The unparalleled feature of Calypso Score is the animated two-page layout capability. Thus your iPad is even better than your paper sheets: when you have to jump back or ahead over several pages, Calypso Score automatically does layout the sheets in such a way, that you may see the bars both before and after the jump! Watch the demo at www.calypso-score.com.
Calypso Score is designed to do a really good job without the need for external page-turner devices. Calypso Score also supports both Bluetooth and MIDI devices, though.
You can assign music from your iPod library and easily synchronize it with your music score. Thus you tap on a bar of your score to hear the music at that bar. Sync your play-a-long music with the scores. Or simply scan your school book and sync the scores with its included audio CD.
You can record your music as you play on a gig or during your practicing. Then, as with synced audio, tap on any bar to hear the recording at that position.
Even better, you may playback any recording at a slower speed and/or change the pitch. This is a great feature for practicing with play-a-longs.
SHEET MUSIC ORGANIZER
Organize all your sheets within songbooks. Easily and quickly make setlists. Name your sets. Rearrange your sets. Quickly mark your songs with colored labels. Annotate your scores with text, drawings, and many musical symbols.
FAKE BOOKS & AEBERSOLDS
But, there is one more thing ...: Calypso Score knows many popular fake books (aka Real Books)! Scan your own fake books or get a copy of them from the many sources on the net and import them to Calypso. You then have direct access to all titles of those PDFs. You may also search for a title within all your fake books.
You can easily adjust existing indexes to your PDF in case of missing or additional pages.
Or make an index of your own PDF files.
(again: no fake books are provided for obvious reasons)
SHARE WITH YOUR BANDMATES
Everything in Calypso can be shared: the music scores, (synchronized) recordings, complete songbooks, setlists, and your own PDF indexes. Share over iCloud, any other cloud service, AirDrop, or mail.
Our expansion of string theory by an additional dimension has enabled us to expand and improve your beloved sheet music app with the following functions:
- in the Songbooks viewer, a button is displayed in the notes for repetitive jumps that are ended on cue. Tapping this button means that this part is not repeated anymore and the spot will advance over the jump mark.
- in the Calypso settings there is a new setting panel 'Backup and Databases'. Here you can choose whether your audio recordings and your Fakebook PDFs should be saved in a backup. In addition, Calypso can now share or export your entire database, which you can use e.g. for a quick backup to your computer or transfer your data to a second device because Calypso can import a database and use several of them. As an example one database for your gigs and another one for your teaching. Usually you still only have one database with all of your songs.
- improved behavior when zooming notes. When zoomed in, the notes can now be moved with just one finger. The same applies if a keyboard is currently visible.
- the time until the iPad goes idle can now be specified in the Calypso settings. As before, the default setting is 15 minutes.
- the crash when importing a copy-protected audio file from the music library has been fixed
- genre in the song creation workflow is now adopted
- other minor bugs have been fixed
Thank you for all your kind feedback.
Ratings and Reviews
Exactly what I needed to combine and index my fake books and other music sources.
If you will spend some time reading the manual and are diligent about finding supported fake book pdf files you will be thoroughly rewarded.
You can access your fake books as one book with a live master index which updates each time you add another book.
If you have a pdf which is not pre-indexed you may create an index of your own for any pdf. So not only will Calypso Score let you add fake books you can also add your smaller song books and sheet music and add them to your master index.
If this weren’t enough you can also organize any song from any png image or pdf source into multiple songbooks and set lists.
You can even have it guide you through your score as you play with or without your own accompaniment or your favorite commercial version of each song.
Or you can also choose to use your favorite Bluetooth or midi foot switch to turn your pages.
Definitely the best music score app I own. It does the job of several others I have purchased and does them better.
This is the app to get!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Beats lugging books around
I’ve been using Calypso for over eight years. As an amateur musician who plays flute, soprano, alto, and tenor, Calypso has enabled me to easily choose different fake book pages from various books and form a singular customized volume. Each of the titled tunes is color coded to represent the instrument to be used for that song. Like all great software, there are features that I don’t take advantage of, but the quality of the design keeps me happy with the functions I rely upon.
Clearly designed by musicians for musicians, not by some investment group with disinterested developers.
Calypso is great!
I use this program all the time. I have books for all the bands I play with, Fakebooks (some of my own creation), and exercise books. With a 12.0” iPad I can read two pages in horizontal orientation very clearly. Sometimes I use Calypso’s built-in page turn feature, and sometimes I use a Bluetooth page turner.
The songbook and setlist features are perfect for how I organize my music, and they ability to search all the fakebooks for the songs I need is valuable. Wonderful program!
Developer Response ,
Thank you Gordon for your positive assessment. Such reviews drive us.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Siegfried Koester
- 154.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2021 Siegfried Köster
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.