Everything you need to know about every camera worth using.
"How much drive space will I need for this Alexa Mini shoot?”
“How long will these batteries last me on a C300 Mk III?”
"What's the dynamic range of the Venice?”
"How big is this H.264 file going to be when I export?”
If you've ever asked these questions, this is the app for you. Whether you’re making decisions on set, troubleshooting in an edit bay, or figuring out which camera to buy, we’ve got you covered.
Search over 150 cameras with a list that includes Arri, Canon, Red, Sony, Blackmagic, Panasonic and more. Or browse by format, from standards like ProRes and DNxHR to the newer Blackmagic Raw and ProRes Raw.
• The Specs tool includes dynamic range, sensor size, native ISO, lens mounts, resolutions, maximum FPS and a link to the manufacturer's website for firmware & manuals.
• The Storage tool lets you determine how much footage you can fit on your camera card or hard drive-- or how much storage space you'll need for a given recording time.
• The Transfer tool lets you predict just how long it will take to move your files, whether you’re transferring to a drive or over the internet.
• The Power tool can tell you how long your batteries will last, or how many you'll need for a shoot, with the option to factor in accessories like your monitor or wireless transmitter.
• The Sensor tool shows the sensor size for the current resolution. Also browse a list of all the camera's sensor sizes, or compare sensors between cameras.
• The Compatibility tool shows how well each camera and format performs with the latest versions of Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, Assimilate Scratch and DaVinci Resolve. Also see if it's been approved by Netflix for original programming.
• Jot down observations and anything you want to remember about a camera with Notes. Compare specs or any other tool like Storage or Compatibility. Save your calculations and return to them later with a tap. Mark any camera as a favorite for quick access. And more!
"With the abundance of camera formats now out there, it’s easy to get lost with which system can do what. With the Cameras + Formats app this information is now at your fingertips."
"This is one of my favorites. It has every single piece of information for nearly every single camera on the market today. Comparing recording formats between cameras has never been easier."
-Shane Hurlbut, ASC
• Support •
Send us an email at email@example.com, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for news, announcements and support!
For a full list of supported cameras and formats, visit http://grayhourmedia.com/formats
Note that while we technically support iOS 12 for our users on older devices, some features and UI elements require iOS 13 or later.
Current countries for manufacturer phone support are the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, and China.
• Disclaimer •
The "price" feature uses affiliate links from B&H Photo Video. We receive a commission if you make a purchase from one of these links.
• About Us •
Cameras + Formats is developed by Zak Ray and the team at Gray Hour Media in NYC. Gray Hour produces fresh and original content for film, episodic and the web. Head to www.grayhourmedia.com to check out our work!
-Added Red DSMC3 V-Raptor
-Updated Arri Alexa Mini LF for firmware 7.1
-Updated Canon C500 Mk. II for firmware 188.8.131.52
Ratings and Reviews
Very very useful
Can calculate how many batteries you need on a shoot, how long it’ll take to transfer files, how many cards you need, etc., all customizable by the equipment you’re working with. Happy to pay a small subscription for something so useful!
A good tool if you don’t mind buying the lifetime license
I originally wrote a review with 1 star because it only was allowing me to subscribe to the app in monthly or yearly payments. Upon being contacted by the developer, they let me know there is a lifetime license purchase to buy the app for $50. It seems a bit steep for someone like me who would maybe use the app a handful of times over the course of several years, so I think this app just isn’t meant for someone like me. I’d probably purchase the lifetime license if it was around $20, but $50 is just too rich for my blood, and that’s ok. If you use tons of cameras and lenses and film all the time, this app seems really solid, if not just a tad expensive.
Developer Response ,
Hi! There's a lifetime purchase option right below the subscription option. Let me know if that doesn't show up for you!
This app has everything a filmmaker, videographer, or anyone interested in buying a camera could want. All important details of a product can be compared to another product, side-by-side. For the professional or amateur photographer, this is also an indispensable app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Zak Ray
- 27.5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Gray Hour Media
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $2.99
- Lifetime Access $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.