Everything you need to know about every camera worth using.
"How much drive space will I need for this Alexa Mini shoot?”
“How long will these batteries last me on a C300 Mk III?”
"What's the dynamic range of the Venice?”
"How big is this H.264 file going to be when I export?”
If you've ever asked these questions, this is the app for you. Whether you’re making decisions on set, troubleshooting in an edit bay, or figuring out which camera to buy, we’ve got you covered.
• Search over 125 cameras with a list that includes Arri, Canon, Red, Sony, Blackmagic, Panasonic and more. Or browse by format, from standards like ProRes and DNxHR to the newer Blackmagic Raw and ProRes Raw.
• Specs include dynamic range, sensor size, native ISO, lens mounts, resolutions, maximum FPS and more. See how well each camera and format performs with the latest versions of Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Avid Media Composer, and DaVinci Resolve. Know if it's been approved by Netflix for original programming. And tap a link to the manufacturer's website for firmware & manuals, and a phone number for support in your country.
• Use the Storage tool to determine how much footage you can fit on your camera card or hard drive-- or how much storage space you'll need for a given recording time. The Transfer tool lets you predict just how long it will take to move your files, whether you’re transferring to a drive or over the internet. And the Power tool can tell you how long your batteries will last, or how many you'll need for a shoot, with the option to factor in accessories like your monitor or wireless transmitter.
• Jot down observations and anything you want to remember about a camera with Notes. Compare specs or any other tool like Storage or Compatibility. Save your calculations and return to them later with a tap. Mark any camera as a favorite for quick access. And more!
"With the abundance of camera formats now out there, it’s easy to get lost with which system can do what. With the Cameras + Formats app this information is now at your fingertips."
"This is one of my favorites. It has every single piece of information for nearly every single camera on the market today. Comparing recording formats between cameras has never been easier."
-Shane Hurlbut, ASC
• Special Thanks •
Ivailo Velinov // CVP
Jan Heugel // Arri
Doug Bierschenk, Tom Crocker and Christian Branteghem // Sony
Juliet McNally and Geoff Smith // AbelCine
Fred Merten and Jan Heugel // Arri
Justin Kwan // Avid
David Newman // GoPro
John Kreidler // Leica
Tony D’Agostino // the VFX Camera Database
• Support •
Send us an email at email@example.com, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for news, announcements and support!
For a full list of supported cameras and formats, visit http://grayhourmedia.com/formats
Current countries for manufacturer phone support are the US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, and China.
• Disclaimer •
The "price" feature uses affiliate links from B&H Photo Video. We receive a commission if you make a purchase from one of these links.
• About Us •
Cameras + Formats is developed by Zak Ray and the team at Gray Hour Media in NYC. Gray Hour produces fresh and original content for film, episodic and the web. Head to www.grayhourmedia.com to check out our work!
-Added Red Komodo
-Added Redcode Raw DCT
-Fixed Sony Venice and DJI Inspire X5R bugs
-Updated Avid compatibility results for version 2020.10
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This app has everything a filmmaker, videographer, or anyone interested in buying a camera could want. All important details of a product can be compared to another product, side-by-side. For the professional or amateur photographer, this is also an indispensable app.
Very very useful
Can calculate how many batteries you need on a shoot, how long it’ll take to transfer files, how many cards you need, etc., all customizable by the equipment you’re working with. Happy to pay a small subscription for something so useful!
Great for My Work
I use this app frequently at my job where I work as a production specialist for a college film department. It helps me keep track of tons of cameras that we own. I can quickly look up the answer to a question that a student or I may have.
- Zak Ray
- 30.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Gray Hour Media
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $2.99
- Lifetime Access $49.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.