Famous boardgame and great iOS experience, with expansions as in-app purchases.
"iPhone Game of the Year", iTunes Rewind Germany.
"The single best board game experience in the App Store", gamezebo
"Carcassonne does just about everything right on the iPhone", ars technica
"It is quite simply one of the most polished games on the platform", wired.com
"There's nothing like a sneaky farmer to push you across the winning line", Edge Magazine
"Beautiful and intuitive", joystiq
"Carcassonne is as good as it gets", EGM
"Of all the tabletop games I have played on my iPad while pooping, nothing has as much time invested in it as Carcassonne", Wil Wheaton
Play the original award winning board game Carcassonne with friends, family, or other board game enthusiasts - online or offline.
Build a medieval landscape, tile by tile, claim landmarks with your followers and score points. As a winner of the prestigious "Spiel des Jahres" award in 2001, the game allows for a plethora of play styles and strategies. If you like social gaming or board games you will love Carcassonne!
• Official Carcassonne game with original artwork
• Universal App - Buy once, play on iPad and iPhone
• Expansions available via In-App-Purchase
• "The River" adds a new strategic element to the game play
• "Inns and Cathedrals" adds a double follower and tiles to upvalue cities and roads.
• "Traders & Builders" with trade-goods, pigs and builders.
• "Princess & Dragon" with dragon, princess, fairy and magic portals.
• "Phantom" adds the phantom, a game piece you can place in addition to other followers.
• "Winter" with a new theme, tiles, and the Gingerbread Man.
• "Double Base Tile Set" adds the possibility to play with twice the amount of base game (or winter) cards.
• "The Old River" - the first expansion ever for the board game
• "The Abbot" adds gardens and lets you score cloisters before the end of the game
• "German Cathedrals" - place a meeple on a German cathedral to score points. Roads connected to a German cathedral score bonus points.
• Easy mode that does not count Fields, ideal for Kids
• 9 different AI players: (Hans, Count, Countess, Maid, Servant, Juggler, Fortune Teller, Witch and Warlock)
• Play with up to five players passing one device around
• Unique Solitaire mode
• Internet multiplayer with Push Notifications
• Online and offline ranking
• Game Center Achievements
• Comprehensive in-game manual
• Tutorials with voice acting
• Compete for the best score in Solitaire Game of the Week
• Chat function
• Play with Game Center friends
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• How do I redownload my Expansions?
You can restore your purchases free of charge in the app's purchases menu. (The treasure chest in the main menu.)
• Help! I’m trapped in a menu screen!
Try opening http://carcassonneapp.com/cleanup.html in your iPad’s or iPhone’s Safari.
• What about more Expansions?
We are continuing to work on further expansions. Please don't hesitate to tell us which one you'd like to see next!
• Can I play asynchronously?
Yes. In "Play with Friends" you can leave the app and will be notified when it's your turn again. No pressure though, unlike "Quick Play" there are no time limits.
• Can I play against my familiy or friends by passing the device around?
Yes, of course. Up to five players can play on the same device.
• Do I need to buy the expansions to participate in a game with expansions?
To play online multiplayer, you need to buy the expansion to play with it.
• Can I play with expansions in quick play?
Yes. However currently we limit the combinations of the expansions in quick play to avoid fragmentation of the player base and longer waiting times for games. We try to give three or four useful combinations for quick play. There is also the "Automatic" category that tries to match you up with anyone who wants to play right now.
One final big update for app longevity:
• Greatly improved iPad version to make more use of the space and no more black borders on iPad pros.
• Added a voluntary support in-app subscription to give you the opportunity to contribute to the longevity of our online services.
• Many minor UI fixes for little glitches and behaviour.
• Future proofed the iPad screen resolution support.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A stunning adaptation of the beloved board game, Carcassonne lets you build medieval roads, cities, and more by connecting gorgeous hand-drawn tiles and earning points from completed structures. The board is never the same twice, demanding flexible strategies for expanding your domain while thwarting up to four human or A.I. opponents. With a simple mode for new players and a deep bench of expansions for experts, it’s a pastime the whole family can share.
Carc is my fave game and I think the developers have done a great job. However I have noticed the wait times seem to be getting longer and longer leading me to give up and play a game elsewhere. I was thinking it would be great if the way you join games was completely redone. ... someone sets up a game as you would playing against friends. There could be a list of how many players are online. Then the other players could choose a set game from the list of players waiting for an opponent. I think this would be great also as far as players who block vs no block where the creator of the match can specify block or no intentional blocking. Possibly even a block feature? Nothing more awkward then starting a game only to realize the other player is someone you had a bad experience with.
Frustrating online experience
This game is exceptionally well designed and crosses over very well from the table game. Yet, the ability of players online to foresee available blocks with the "X" feature automatically enabled for online play is so dissimilar to how real people play this game that I've begun the habit of simply leaving online games when a player starts blocking moves one or two turns in. It's exasperating to lose all of your meeples just three or four turns into a game when I've never seen a human player do that in the hours & hours of "real game play" I've had. I'd really prefer to have this feature turned off for online play - or to have the option to play opponents who also want to play this way.
Finally, wait times are unreal. In a recent example, the estimate was 2 minutes, 55 seconds. I waited 15 minutes before giving up. I'd really love to see improvements in the online matching process, including the ability to do something else on my phone while I wait. It's so annoying to stare longingly at my phone while I wait for the game to start.
- 403.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2020 TheCodingMonkeys GmbH & Hans im Glück Verlag
- In-App Purchases
- Inns & Cathedrals $1.99
- River $0.99
- Traders & Builders $1.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.