Catchup is a simple game of surprising turnarounds.
"Catchup is as elegant as a game can reasonably be, presented in a marvelously user-friendly way.” -Pocket Tactics (5-star review)
"If you're even a little bit into strategy games, you need to get some Catchup all over your mobile device." -Touch Arcade (4 & 1/2 star review)
Can you have the largest group at the end of the game? Connect your hexes to master this beautiful abstract strategy game.
- an interactive tutorial to teach you how to play
- a challenging AI opponent whose difficulty changes as you play
- online turn-based multiplayer via Game Center
- two-player pass-and-play on the same device
- beautiful and haunting music by Tori Kamal
- minimalist graphics with customizable colors
- Game Center Leaderboards & Achievements
- simple and easy to learn rules and gameplay
- difficult to master strategy
Here are all the rules:
1. One player plays all the hexes of one color and the other player plays all the hexes of the other color. The first player begins by claiming 1 empty hex for their color.
2. Starting with the second player, each player must claim 1 or 2 hexes on their turn.
3. If the largest group of hexes at the end of a turn is larger than the largest group of hexes at the beginning of that turn (regardless of color), the next player may claim up to 3 hexes on their turn. (This does not apply after the first player claims a single hex in step 1 above.)
4. The game ends when the board is full. The player with the largest group wins. If the players’ largest groups are the same size, compare their second-largest groups, and so on, until you come to a pair which aren’t the same size. Whoever owns the larger of the two wins.
Catchup is an original Board Game designed by Nick Bentley.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
iOS 11 and iPhone X screen support.
Bug fix for game board layout in iOS 9 and 10, minor typo fix in popup for new catchup rule.
Ratings and Reviews
My favorite quick strategy game
I’m so glad I stumbled upon this! It’s super easy to learn, and the strategy is accessible even for a casual gamer, but it’s very challenging, without being frustrating. This is one of the few abstract strategy games I actually find fun! And the AI is super well done here.
The design is minimalistic and gorgeous. The UI is perfect. And the premium price is fair, with no ads or IAP. I heartily support developers like this.
Thank you for a fantastic game!
strategy/board game featuring clean and customizable visuals, seemingly simple but strategic gameplay, and online multiplayer.
Really like this game. AI is challenging and the gameplay is great. Would love to see support for irregular boards as well.
The developer, Martin Grider, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Martin Grider
- 5.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2014 Abstract Puzzle
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.