Catchup is a simple game of surprising turnarounds.
"Catchup is as elegant as a game can reasonably be, presented in a marvelously user-friendly way.” -Pocket Tactics (5-star review)
"If you're even a little bit into strategy games, you need to get some Catchup all over your mobile device." -Touch Arcade (4 & 1/2 star review)
Can you have the largest group at the end of the game? Connect your hexes to master this beautiful abstract strategy game.
- an interactive tutorial to teach you how to play
- a challenging AI opponent whose difficulty changes as you play
- online turn-based multiplayer via Game Center
- two-player pass-and-play on the same device
- beautiful and haunting music by Tori Kamal
- minimalist graphics with customizable colors
- Game Center Leaderboards & Achievements
- simple and easy to learn rules and gameplay
- difficult to master strategy
Here are all the rules:
1. One player plays all the hexes of one color and the other player plays all the hexes of the other color. The first player begins by claiming 1 empty hex for their color.
2. Starting with the second player, each player must claim 1 or 2 hexes on their turn.
3. If the largest group of hexes at the end of a turn is larger than the largest group of hexes at the beginning of that turn (regardless of color), the next player may claim up to 3 hexes on their turn. (This does not apply after the first player claims a single hex in step 1 above.)
4. The game ends when the board is full. The player with the largest group wins. If the players’ largest groups are the same size, compare their second-largest groups, and so on, until you come to a pair which aren’t the same size. Whoever owns the larger of the two wins.
Catchup is an original Board Game designed by Nick Bentley.
iOS 11 and iPhone X screen support.
Bug fix for game board layout in iOS 9 and 10, minor typo fix in popup for new catchup rule.
Ratings and Reviews
strategy/board game featuring clean and customizable visuals, seemingly simple but strategic gameplay, and online multiplayer.
Really like this game. AI is challenging and the gameplay is great. Would love to see support for irregular boards as well.
Great Abstract Game, and works really well
I don't write many reviews, but this one didn't have any yet (that I saw) so I felt I had to say something! This is a really cool game. It feels like a classic abstract game (like Chess, Go, or Mancala) but is a lot easier to pick up and understand. Yet it has a modern feel to it, like Hive. Just an all-around well-designed game.
The app itself also works incredibly well. It's fast, easy-to-use, and full-featured and customizable, without feeling bogged down by unnecessary options or features. The AI can automatically adjust to your skill level as you play more games, which is a cool feature that I haven't seen much before.
All around, this is a great app. The only reason I wrote this review was that I was just so surprised that others hadn't already. Consider checking it out.
- Martin Grider
- 5.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Abstract Puzzle
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.