- Fast and Accurate Emulation
- Dynamic Scrollback Buffer
- 256 Colors
- 12 Retro Fonts
Great Mac Integration:
- Drag and Drop Files
- Customizable Keyboard
- Mouse Copy/Paste
- Command-Click to Open URLs
- Save/Recall Favorite Commands
- Choose from a large collection of themes spanning every era.
- Tweak to your heart's content with a dozen real-time sliders.
- Effects include screen curvature, burn-in, scan-lines, and transparency.
- Glowing halos simulate the human eye's reaction to intense brightness.
- Slow down the bitrate like an old modem.
- The quirks of old electronics are charming to the modern eye.
- Watch the strange dance of horizontal desyncs and splitting colors.
- Turn up the static, jitter, and flicker to add an analog warmth.
- Pixels burn-in and slowly fade away when turned off.
- Slow-motion retrace lines show the picture being refreshed.
- Cathode's many lifelike touches constantly surprise and delight.
- Ray tubes burst open in new windows and bounce as they're moved.
- Dynamic perspective, lighting, and shadows raise the bar for app visuals.
- Customizable sound effects highlight your interactions.
- Use an image or webcam photo as glass reflection.
- Immerse yourself and disregard thirty years of user interface progress.
- Impress curious onlookers at work, school, or the cafe.
- Zoom in on virtual pixels for blocky resolutions.
- Works great with multiple monitor setups.
- Hide the clutter of modern computing.
But Wait, There's More!:
- Cathode isn't just a terminal, it's also a great text editor.
- Use familiar dialogs, menus, key combos, and gestures.
- Open any image file to generate ASCII art.
- View your webcam feed as real-time ASCII art.
- Save screenshots.
- iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro: 2007 or newer
- MacBook, MacBook Air, Mac mini: mid-2008 or newer
- Unsupported graphics cards: Intel GMA 950 and X3100, ATI Radeon X1600
- Faster bit-rates.
- Networking security improvements for macOS Sierra.
- Fixed a bug related to uninstalled fonts.
Ratings and Reviews
Extremely configurable and well made
the sounds are so great, it made the terminal something FUN. Now i look forward to every time i have to boot it up for IRC or just to upload some html files. Best $$ I’ve spent on an app in my life.
Screenshots don’t do justice to how good this app looks, there are a lot of themes which are beautiful.
A semi functional terminal that works in the most basic of use cases
I’d love to give this app 4 or 5 stars. I think it really deserves it, but for the life of me I can’t figure out why it’s randomly displaying garbage charecters.
When I switch panes in tmux random “q”s show up where my cursor was. When I navigate in neovim there are “q”s everywhere. I have to refresh the buffer to clear them and they’re back after a few seconds. It sort of makes this app unusable. I think the most I could get out of this is loading it up and running a few commands… but anything with a terminal multiplexer and terminal uis with complexity just get messed up with garbage output. :/
So, for what I got this program for, it just doesn’t work. For now, I’ve moved back to alacritty. But I’d love to really get a retro feel in my terminal emulator in the future if these bugs ever get worked out.
Plain 'Ole Nostalgic Bliss
I may already be a bit too nostalgic for my own good, living in the past playing online text games via telnet, but I'll be darned if this didn't make it even more fun for me! Now I've just got to find other ways to use this in my regular workflow and I'll be one happy geek.
As far as the app itself, it's completely solid. Crisp and responsive, plenty of customizability. I have zero complaints and there's only one thing on my wishlist that isn't already in here, and that's the sound that goes with degaussing the "monitor" (yes, you can do that - awesome, right?!). One bug, which is if your input extends multiple lines, the cursor does not retract to the previous line with backspace, but it does continue to delete the characters.
Aside from that, I don't know what else could possibly be added to make this any better. Well done dev and team, well done.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.