Celestial is a complete package for celestial navigation on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. It can perform celestial sight reductions, calculate fixes, present them visually, manage sights on multiple trips and assist in sight planning. It also includes a complete Almanac of the Sun, Moon, planets and stars. All this for the price of the Nautical Almanac for a single year!
- Supports quick sight reduction. Enter all sight values to quickly calculate an intercept or to double-check your own manual sight reduction.
- Includes a comprehensive trip manager that allows you to manage sights taken during a trip. Keep your sights with you forever!
- Multiple sights can be grouped and averaged together and a fix can be calculated. Lines of Position (LOP's) and fixes can be plotted on a virtual plotting sheet.
- Running fixes are supported!
- Includes a star finder and times of rise/set phenomena. Plan your sights and be on deck when it is time.
- Includes the complete Almanac of the Sun, Moon, planets, 57 navigational stars, Aries and Polaris for the years 1980-2099.
- Context-sensitive screen help for every screen so you always know what the intended function of the software is.
- Night mode preserves your night vision.
All sight reduction algorithms are based on the algorithms described in the Nautical Almanac (Sight Reduction Procedures). Celestial object positions are predicted using software from the US Naval Observatory.
Visit http://navimatics.com or search for "navimatics" in the AppStore for additional navigation products.
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Modern iOS 7/8 UI
- Night mode
- Includes support for the latest leap second on 2015-06-30
- Misc other fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Pretty much basic. Should make controls more user friendly and add GPS input for time, LAT & LONG as an option. Lacks sight planner and basic navigational mathematics like rhumb line and great circle sailing. No option for imperial/metric input.
This app is an excellent value. I have been practicing celestial navigation for over 20 years and have programed calculators to provide almanac data and reduce sights. This app does everything you need. The Sky View feature is very nice and greatly facilitates sight planning. Touching the screen in the Sky View mode provides accurate HC and azimuth values for each body. The plotting function, however, needs improvement; the LOPs are on a small screen with a fixed scale spanning 120 NM. You can't see the area of intersection well enough to estimate the precision of the fix or identify which sights might be outliers and better deleted. Some kind of "pinch to expand" feature would be a big improvement and warrant five stars for the improved app.
The app does not have some of the nice bells and whistles like sight averaging, star ID from observed altitude and azimuth, or great circle sailing. If you want all that and more you should buy StarPilot, but it is more than twice the price. This app will serve your needs, provide plenty of practice and lots of fun, and, along with a sextant, enable a safe return from the longest voyage in the event space aliens zap all the GPS satellites. Actually, in that case you would need a chronometer too.
I have been practicing celestial navigation since 1968 and have recently looking for a good application for my iPhone and iPad (even old horses sometimes learn new tricks). Celestial by Navimatics is well thought out and a snap to use after just a little practice; I look forward to using it on my next passage. I've run a bunch of star sights and sun line through the program and they all check out. There are a few tweaks and additions that will make the application even better and their customer service is absolutely the best I have encountered. I will be looking into other programs by Navimatics.
The developer, Navimatics Corporation, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Navimatics Corporation
- 15.2 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2015 Navimatics Corporation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.