Our CoverageMap app empowers you to test network performance in areas where you live, work, and play. Not only does testing performance in your neighborhood provide you with useful insights, but the data you produce also helps carriers improve the quality of your mobile life.
If you are already familiar with our CoverageMap app or simply curious about testing mobile network performance in your neighborhood, you’ll quickly see how easy it is to get started.
• Our app makes it easy to find and select the options and settings you want to use before running a test. Plus, easily identify areas that have yet to be tested, and be the first to put your area on the map.
• A world of results on a dashboard. Your test results can tell you a great deal about your daily mobile life. Get a broader understanding of your findings with stats such as average speed and burst speed, as well as fastest and slowest averages for continuous testing.
• Personalize your results. Wondering about performance for your carrier of choice in different areas, such as your commute route or while selecting a vacation destination? You can find out. Easily select multiple hexes on the map to view performance data over the selected area for various carriers.
• Test how you want, when you want. Set your device to automatically run performance tests continuously, or sample network conditions in the background. Stop a test at any time with either setting. When you turn background collection on, you anonymously contribute information about your device’s data performance without using your data plan.
We want to hear from you. While we love to see more and more data points appear on the map, you can also tell us about your experience in your own words. Whether it’s something you feel requires our attention or you just want to say you’ve had a great experience while testing performance, we want to hear from you.
Enjoying the app? Please rate it and leave your comments in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn
• Streamlined onboarding and What’s New
• Retired the underutilized Report feature
• Added a new button to visit us on LinkedIn
• Added a new feature to contact us by email
Ratings and Reviews
Love the idea of the app but...
The idea behind the app is awesome. However, it fails a few areas:
1. Networks that utilize dynamic carrier aggregation are not represented well. Some networks do not carrier-aggregate immediately. What this means is that initial download speeds may be represented, but over a longer run of download or upload, the speed increases, sometimes dramatically. It would use more of a persons data, but the speed tests should ideally execute for a set minimum number of seconds, but continue to run up to a (larger) maximum number of seconds if the speed results are steadily increasing. My speed results are increasing but the test just ends while the speed is still increasing. This affects both upload and download.
2. When executing speed tests on cellular, there is no quick way to get back to the map. You are returned to the results summary, and then have to click the stopwatch in the bottom right hand corner, and then in the following screen, you have to click close. My idea is that a user should be given the ability to Close the speed testing directly from the results page.
Great, but Flawed
This app makes it really easy for consumers to post real-world data & carrier information. The UI is great and highly useable, being much better than other apps I’ve tried. The color coding of hexagonal areas denoting network performance works very well.
That being said, there are some bugs here and there. When I try to run a network test, the app displays the wrong carrier and is unable to identify the technology in use (EDGE/3G/4G LTE). This error surfaced when I began using a dual sim. Furthermore, I have since reverted to using one carrier (T-Mobile, in eSim). I have uninstalled/reinstalled the app multiple times, yet the issue remains.
In future, I’d like to see better dual SIM support with more ease in functioning between two carriers. Along with that would be a display of the frequencies and/or bands carriers are using at a given point built in to the UI (it would have to be an Android-only feature but still one that could prove worthwhile).
While I am disappointed at the app’s inability to better track the carrier in use I am looking forward to a resolution of the issue.
Great app but
Should allow to display average speed not fastest speed. Great so somebody got 27Mbs one day but the average is more like 0.1Mbs. One cannot tell this from the numeric data displayed. It only gives option for fastest speed found. I cannot find average speed which is MUCH more important. Even better would be if they could weight the values based on quantity of samples as well as time of day its. I suspect my work area is out of back haul but cannot probe this with this app. Thus the app appears to give information skewed to the best case.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Root Wireless, Inc.
- 7.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010–2021 RootMetrics. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.