Practice hearing musical chord progressions
• Learn to recognize chords in a progression and to distinguish different harmonies.
• Exercises are taken from real music: get realistic voice leading with samples taken from the old masters (Bach, Mozart, Chopin, …) as well as typical Folk, Rock and Jazz progressions.
• For each exercise, there is at least one other that is almost but not quite the same – teaching you to listen closely.
• Practice triads, seventh chords and chord inversions.
• Also has a level for chords like Sus4, Augmented, Dim7, …
• The first levels have four chords per exercise and at least 90 exercises.
• Higher levels have four or six chords per exercise and more than 150 exercises.
• More than 1500 exercises in total!
• Displays the solution as chord symbols and musical notes: see exactly which tones you heard (or did not hear).
• Understand your mistakes even better by tapping, swiping or pressing single chords in the solution display (see built-in help for details).
• Detailed statistics show how well you did on progressions, individual chords, chord qualities (types), chord roots and bass tones.
• Options for tempo, pitch, key, display, …
• Easily undo/redo entering chords, etc.
• Detailed built-in help explaining concepts, chord symbols and more.
• Support for new iPhone/iPad models
• iOS 13 dark mode support.
• This version requires iOS 11.4 or newer.
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely wonderful, fantastically useful app
I love this app so much. I think it's an absolute must for any aspiring musician and I was ecstatic to see it finally updated! So glad the developer didn't decide to abandon it. I've been using the app for years and I hope the creator knows how grateful I am for it.
If you're in choir and don't have the strongest ear for hearing inner tones, this app can help. I like to swipe up (or down) on individual chords try to "lock on" to a middle tone, sing it while swiping again, sing it while tapping to hear them all simultaneously, and finally trying to hear it by itself (no singing). I find this incredibly helpful to try to develop your ear ability to harmonize. Ideally eventually you would just use relative pitch after one note instead of having to hear it, but just take your time building up. Cheers! Thank you, Mr. Peters!
Excellent path to real ear training
This is the sole app (to my knowledge) entirely focused on chord progressions, an aspect of ear training that should be central in every serious program of music education because it is closely related to how music occurs in reality: progressing through time (as opposed to out-of-context chords and intervals). Ch! Ear will greatly help if you really want to know what is happening with the (tonal) music you hear. It'll help you to recognize inversions (therefore bass lines) and chord qualities in context. Chords, intervals, and scales identification drills are good only for passing antiquated music tests. If you spend time with this will take your ear from student to professional. Highly recommended!!!
Awesome supplemental tool
I would highly recommend this app to anyone in a music theory/musicianship course, as well as to anyone just looking to improve their musical ear. I've been getting rusty since I graduated, but now I'm using this to get back into shape!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Lars Peters
- 11.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011 Lars Peters
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.