Chalkboard Math is the perfect app for elementary school students in need of math practice in the following areas: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
In addition to be a fun app that allows students to play Chalkman (similar to Hangman) while practicing math facts and giving positive audio feedback for both correct and incorrect answers, Chalkboard Math has been verified by professional educators to help promote the following skills:
1) Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10. (US Common Mathematics Core Standard: 1.OA.6)
2) Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers. (US Common Mathematics Core Standard: 2.OA.2)
3) Fluently multiply and divide within 100, using strategies such as the relationship between multiplication and division or properties of operations. By the end of Grade 3, know from memory all products of two one-digit numbers. (US Common Mathematics Core Standard: 3.OA.7)
Here's how the app works:
You first choose the numbers (1-12) that you want to work with, and then choose the math operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
The app will then speak out the problem (if your volume level is set, and device not on mute) - and then either present the correct answer or go on to the next problem. The app offers positive words of encouragement for both correct and incorrect answers.
If you are playing the Chalkman game, you need to get 25 problems correct to win and save the Chalkman character from erasure.
Chalkboard Math also has a Flashcard mode that you can enable to learn math facts. If you are on the go, you no longer have to carry flashcards with you to practice math.
Fix iOS 9 crashing issue
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I clicked on the "about" button and can't get rid of the window now to use the program... I clicked on it again to see if it would close and it only enlarges the drop shadow around it with each click. Closing the app and reopening doesn't work to remove it either, so I guess I will delete the app now. Thank you, anyway.
Follow-up on previous problem with the about window not closing:
We noticed that if you keep tapping the screen the drop shadow gradually fades until the box closes. A little quirk... We like the program and will use it, but it would be better if children could write on it with their finger instead of having to type the answers.
Good but could use a couple upgrades
I like this app a lot but would love additional options, especially to turn off the comments (i plan on using this app for adult education; the rest of the app is happily free of cartoons etc but the comments are juvenile). It would also be fun to have multiple modes e.g. timed, head to head.
Great App for doing basic Math
Purchased this for my wife to use in her classroom but found myself playing with it helps getting the brain going again. Thank You!
- 22nd Century Software, LLC
- 56.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
- Age Rating
- © 2012, 22nd Century Software LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.