The Chambers Thesaurus is the perfect reference for writers and word game enthusiasts, while all lovers of language will find it a pleasure to browse through. There are nearly 40 000 distinct indexed words, and a total of about 400 000 synonyms and antonyms.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search
- Cross-reference to offline and online dictionaries
There are also standard bookmark, recent word and random word features. On newer iPads it supports Split View and Slide Over for easily viewing with other apps. With iOS 13+ it supports dark mode. No Internet connection is required.
The Chambers Dictionary is also available as a separate app, and can easily be cross-referenced using the X-Ref button.
Our WordWeb, Chambers and Oxford dictionaries are also available separately for Windows and Mac desktop (Collins coming soon).
Compatibility with latest iOS updates
Ratings and Reviews
It’s been about 4 years I’ve been using this app however the thesaurus is not that much persuasive. I expected something more.
Fabulous (like a all WordWeb’s desktop software)
This Chambers app is an amazing app, like all of Word Webs.
Here are my recommendations to the developer for mobile:
(1) Just as with your desktop software, let you switch in tabs between all the dictionaries and thesauruses you purchase. That is a critical feature in your desktop applications and increases their value and makes it sensible to buy ALL your dictionaries. This would be a moneymaker for WordWeb and great for users.
(2) Why not sell your other desktop dictionaries on mobile? No work and more revenue, and your users would benefit.
Here is my recommendation regarding Desktop:
(1) Please make the spacing and placement of lines of text consistent as one switches between the tabs of WordWeb books.
(2) Please use MacOS built-in support for graphics card acceleration for more natural resizing on the wide variety of displays. It looks really bad as you resize and for a business to purchase this app for this users, that raises questions of longevity.
This thesaurus is great. It's the only thesaurus I have found on the app store that categorizes which of the words are formal and/or colloquial.
My only complaint is that the red background of the icon is a different shade of red than that of the Chambers dictionary icon. It kind of annoys me.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.