The Chambers Thesaurus is the perfect reference for writers and word game enthusiasts, while all lovers of language will find it a pleasure to browse through. There are nearly 40 000 distinct indexed words, and a total of about 400 000 synonyms and antonyms.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search
- Cross-reference to offline and online dictionaries
There are also standard bookmark, recent word and random word features. On newer iPads it supports Split View and Slide Over for easily viewing with other apps. With iOS 13+ it supports dark mode. No Internet connection is required.
The Chambers Dictionary is also available as a separate app, and can easily be cross-referenced using the X-Ref button.
Our WordWeb, Chambers and Oxford dictionaries are also available separately for Windows and Mac desktop (Collins coming soon).
Latest iOS bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Fabulous (like a all WordWeb’s desktop software)
This Chambers app is an amazing app, like all of Word Webs.
Here are my recommendations to the developer for mobile:
(1) Just as with your desktop software, let you switch in tabs between all the dictionaries and thesauruses you purchase. That is a critical feature in your desktop applications and increases their value and makes it sensible to buy ALL your dictionaries. This would be a moneymaker for WordWeb and great for users.
(2) Why not sell your other desktop dictionaries on mobile? No work and more revenue, and your users would benefit.
Here is my recommendation regarding Desktop:
(1) Please make the spacing and placement of lines of text consistent as one switches between the tabs of WordWeb books.
(2) Please use MacOS built-in support for graphics card acceleration for more natural resizing on the wide variety of displays. It looks really bad as you resize and for a business to purchase this app for this users, that raises questions of longevity.
Perfect for crosswords
True to the print edition, this app is perfect for crosswords. The search feature allows for fuzzy matching, which is incredibly useful.
A must have app
Very useful and I definitely recommend it to everyone
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.