Chem101 is a classroom engagement app built specifically for college-level chemistry. Say goodbye to static content and generic multiple choice questions and hello to dynamic problems that are designed to help students learn and visualize abstract concepts in chemistry.
Chem101 allows chemistry instructors to ask students engaging questions, such as drawing Lewis structures, and receive real-time information on what structures the class is drawing. The app features a custom-built tool that allows students and instructors to quickly and intuitively draw Lewis structures on mobile devices. Additionally, both students and instructors have access to over 250 built-in questions related to Lewis structures, resonance, molecular geometries, VSEPR, hybridization, sigma and pi bonding, and molecular polarity.
• Intuitive Lewis structures drawing tool built specifically for mobile devices - Use as engaging demonstration for your students to show example Lewis structures and reinforce concepts such as the octet rule, formal charge, and VSEPR. Students can take advantage of the drawing tool to visualize the relationship between Lewis structures and molecular shapes.
• Create in-class or homework assignments - Perfect for clicker, recitation, or review problems. Students receive push notifications to alert and remind them of pending assignments.
• Assign or practice with over 250 built-in questions related to Lewis structures, resonance, molecular geometries, VSEPR, hybridization, sigma and pi bonding, and molecular polarity.
• Real-time class results - Quickly find common incorrect structures to address student misunderstanding before exams.
• Isoform recognition - Chem101’s technology recognizes correct answers independent of the drawn structure orientation.
• Export student activity - Student participation and performance exported in a tap of a button.
• Easy sign-up - Students and instructors can create accounts and join courses all within the app in a few steps.
• School IT and device independent - Assign, work, and review from any mobile device and over any network connection.
More content and features coming soon!
- Bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
For being a 25$ app there sure is a lot of glitching/freezing up when you switch from the Chem101 app window to another window and then back again. Sometimes I have to wait several minutes before the app allows me to enter in a answer while doing homework. Super annoying. I had to get this app for my gen chem college course. Otherwise I would never use this app again.
App will not open after latest update
Hello. I love being able to use this for my chemistry class, but since the latest update the app refuses to open. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and restarting my phone and nothing helps.
Developer Response ,
Hello, we're sorry you've been experiencing issues with Chem101. We've released an update (1.6.6) that fixes this issue. Please update your app to the latest version and you should be good to go!
I found Chem101 very useful during my general chemistry course. The app is easy to figure out and fun to experiment with. Chem101 helped me the most by placing Lewis structures with the appropriate bond angles; this made it clear what the geometry of the molecule would be and aided me in learning how to identify the geometries when I draw the molecules myself. I appreciated that the problems give the user multiple attempts to complete them, and that it would inform the user which part(s) were correct and what needed to be improved for the next try. I liked using Chem101 more than my assigned online homework because I was more accessible, and it was more interactive which helped me learn faster and understand the 3-D shapes more easily. I would recommend Chem101 to anyone that struggles with chemistry and/or wants a creative way to learn.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.