ChessGenius, award winning chess program. Superb playing strength. The author's chess programs have won ten World Championships. Packed with features for beginners and experts:
* Simple, elegant user interface
* Powerful, compact and fast
* Hundreds of playing levels including easy, blitz and tournament levels. Network connection not required
* Displays thinking. Who is winning, by how much and the moves that ChessGenius is planning. Also Chess clocks, Captured pieces and Opening name. e.g. B12 Caro-Kann
* Save/load games in PGN format. Send games by email. Set-up position
* Easy import / export of PGN database files with iTunes file sharing
* Hint, Show legal moves and Tutor. ChessGenius can warn if a blunder/weak move is played and give the option of take back
* Unlimited take back and step forward
* Play against ChessGenius. Also 2 player, self play and analysis mode
* Optional display of captured pieces and count of positions searched
* Game is restored after exit and restart
* All functions work in Portrait and Landscape
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Bigger, deeper opening book. Bigger by a factor of 2.5
New adjustable playing levels with Fischer clock
Ratings and Reviews
A portable Full-Strength chess engine
Hands down the best chess related thing you can have on your phone. When used thoughtfully this is a powerful learning tool that world champions would kill for back in the day. A must purchase for chess enthusiasts.
Pluses and minuses on interface
There are a lot of options for chess engines. The icons for the pieces need an upgrade here. I found only one of six appealing.
Two have lo res graphics, which is unacceptable for a premium priced app. One set is ugly, and the Russian set is two shades of grey, without enough contrast.
The list of captured pieces is nice, and surprisingly missing from a lot of other apps.
This is the one!
I love chess programs on my Mac and Palm and even did on my older Windows Mobile phone. Now that my contract ended with my old carrier I immediately bought my iPhone and started to look foir a chess game. What a disappointing assortment of the usual suspects. Interface problems, poor play, 3D graphics that might look good but during play the pieces would hide each other or become hard to see, not many options to adjust play or display -- I downloaded a few and regretted it and finally decided to just wait. Wow, am I glad I did because CHESS GENIUS is the best chess program ever on the Palm and Windows Smartphone. Now that it is on the iPhone everyone here can enjoy its crisp graphics, easily and widely-adjustable features and, of course, game play unmatched by any other chess-playing engine on a mobile device. This is it, this is the one. If you're a patzer happy with just looking at "somethin' cool" on your screen go get a program with candy-floss graphics. But if you are a Player, if you love chess, if you like a display designed not to distract but to involve -- download this soon. Heck, download it today.
The developer, Lang Software Limited, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Lang Software Limited
- 1.8 MB
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 6.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 6.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Lang Software Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.