Create bizarre chess boards and play! No kings? All queens? Stacked odds? Anything goes in Chess Maker!
Features a board builder that lets players create their own chess board:
- Any shape within an 8x8 grid goes!
- Place as many or as few pieces as you like! The AI is not programmed to complain about an unfair match.
- Listen to music from your library while playing!
The same rules of standard chess apply, with a few exceptions:
- If a player has no king, they can only be defeated by capturing all of their pieces!
- Castling can be done in any direction, provided the king and rook have two empty spaces between them and neither has moved since the start of the game.
- Pawns come in four different varieties, one for each cardinal direction. They can move two spaces on their first move and can be promoted when they reach the edge of the board.
- Now available on iPad devices!
- Three more premade chess boards added: Jailbreak, Look Both Ways Before Crossing, and Chess vs Checkers.
- After 50 non-capture or non-pawn moves, the game will offer the player the chance to call a draw. If both players are controlled by the computer, a draw is automatically accepted.
- Fixed a bug where players could perform a castle across empty space, potentially getting their rook stuck out of bounds.
- Added an introductory message to the first launch.
- Added a message to inform the user that they need to adjust app permissions to allow Chess Maker to play music from their library. This message only appears if they deny access to their music library.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
So much fun. Great for all ages. I love it, my teens love it and my ten year old loves it! It’s great to have an app to challenge them intellectually and also let them be creative because they can change the board in so many ways.
Amazing! But it could be better...
This is a great game, but you should have more editable.
Here is a list of new things I want for this game:
- A list of fairy chess pieces and a piece creator.
- A board editor.
- You can do it with real people in “Play” mode.
- Adding/removing boards (like 3D chess).
- Pieces from every type of chess imaginable.
You have confined this game to an 8x8 max grid leaving no room for expansion. If I wanted a 9x10 like Chinese chess or maybe a 12x12 board it can’t be done.....
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.