The Chess Tempo app provides a mobile and tablet friendly interface for Chesstempo features.
Currently supported features:
- CHESS TACTICS TRAINING
- Improve your tactics by solving tactical problems, with over 100,000 puzzles available.
- Includes both winning and defensive problem types.
- For premium members, solve against sophisticated custom sets that target your weaknesses, for example:
- Sets that target a particular tactical motif such as pin, fork, discovered attack etc.
- Sets that target your previous mistakes, allowing you to repeat problems until correct.
- Spaced repetition learning algorithm sets where problems you keep getting
wrong are prioritised over those you are already able to solve.
- Note, custom sets can be used on the app, but need to be first created on the Chesstempo website.
- PLAY ONLINE
- Play chess against other Chesstempo users.
- Supports both live and correspondence chess games
- Get a full post game analysis after every rated game played. Game analysis is spread out over our cluster of hundreds of instances of stockfish, allowing high quality results to be returned in a few seconds.
- For premium members, have tactics problems extracted from your rated games, and available for solving in the tactics training
UI, and selected via the advanced custom sets feature.
- OPENING TRAINING
- Create multiple black and white repertoires.
- Import repertoires from PGN or by entering the moves on the board.
- Train your repertoires using spaced repetition.
- Limit training to a branch of a repertoire, a single repertoire, or all repertoires of a colour.
- Option to restrict training to a limited depth.
- Ability to train against the moves that are proving the most resistant to spaced repetition learning.
- Comment on each position or move, and read the comments others have chosen to make public.
- Add engine evaluations or annotations such as +=, ?! etc to each move in the repertoire.
- Export repertoire and your comments and annotations to PGN.
- Graphs showing repertoire learning status and learning history over time.
- Use the opening explorer to choose moves for your repertoire (limited to a depth of 10 moves for free members).
- For premium members, the ability to use the cloud engine to ask for analysis on any position.
- ANALYSIS BOARD
- Analyse positions using our cloud engines (requires premium membership). Cloud engines allow you to run high quality analysis without using up your own device's battery. Diamond members can request up to 8 analysis threads, analysing many times more positions per second than an engine running on your device could provide.
- Setup positions from FEN or by arranging the pieces on the board with the board editor.
- Analyse tactics problems after completion to better understand the solution.
- PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
- Monthly auto-renew subscriptions are provided via in app purchases for Silver, Gold and Diamond memberships, providing access to more powerful training features. Details of features provided are shown within the app.
- Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: chesstempo.com/tos.html
- Updated translations
- Allow hiding clock while solving.
- Board setup panel improvements.
- Several bug fixes including fixes for:
- Rare startup crash
- Opening trainer comment board size
- Challenge dialog scrolling
- Extra space for engine lines on analysis board for taller devices.
- Launching Analysis board form opening trainer.
- Input field visibility while typing.
- Improve playing reconnect when network connection drops.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great service, app is getting there
I’ve loved chesstempo online for years, the service is top notch. The app itself has some rough patches. Right now I’m struggling to figure out how to change problem sets. Considering switching back to using the website on my phone.
Anyway, thanks for the excellent service! I’m a happy subscriber.
EDIT: thanks for the response!
Developer Response ,
The problem set change button is hidden away a bit after you've started the current solving session (the start solving dialog after opening the app and going to the tactics page does have a set change button). To change set in the middle of a session, click on the Info button, then open the session history panel (the one that shows the rating graph for the current session, and the current session stats). You'll see a set change button at the bottom of that panel. We might move it to somewhere more obvious in a future version, as you're not the first to ask about it.
Chess Tempo is a well known chess site and it is nice to see an app has been developed. The developer was quick to address my concerns and asked for additional feedback.
I am confident that this app will continue to improve. This is a great service that will improve your chess acumen.
Developer Response ,
You can control the piece movement speed in the board settings (click on the blue circle icon under the move list, and then the settings icon). You can also choose the board style there, and a green board is one of the options.
It would be great if you could report any bugs you found to email@example.com
Glad there is a phone app for this, and it helped me a lot. one issue I have with this is that it doesn’t show you how many problems you’ve done, and this is a big thing for me since i’m in a chess class and need to do 35 correct problems.
Still a great app, though.
Developer Response ,
Glad you like the app! If you click the 'info' button after solving a problem , the session panel lists a bunch of stats about the current session, including the number of problems done.
- Chess Tempo
- 23.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2007-2020 Chess Tempo
- In-App Purchases
- Diamond membership - 1 month $8.99
- Gold membership - 1 month $3.99
- Silver membership - 1 month $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.