Chess Tempo: Chess tactics 4+
Chess tactics and play online
Designed for iPad
- Offers In-App Purchases
The Chess Tempo app provides a mobile and tablet friendly interface for Chesstempo features.
- CHESS TACTICS TRAINING
- Improve your tactics by solving tactical problems, with over 100,000 puzzles available.
- Both winning and defensive problem types.
- For premium members, solve against sophisticated custom sets that target your weaknesses, for example:
- Sets that target a particular tactical motif such as pin, fork, discovered attack etc.
- Sets that target your previous mistakes, repeating problems until correct.
- Spaced repetition sets.
- Note, custom sets can be used on the app, but need to be created on the Chesstempo website.
- PLAY ONLINE
- Play chess against other Chesstempo users.
- Supports both live and correspondence games
- Get a full post game analysis after every rated game played. Analysis is spread out over our cluster of hundreds of instances of stockfish, allowing high quality results to be returned in a few seconds.
- For premium members, have tactics problems extracted from your games, available for solving in the tactics training UI, and selected via the advanced custom sets feature.
- OPENING TRAINING
- Create multiple black and white repertoires.
- Import repertoires from PGN or by entering the moves on the board.
- Train your repertoires using spaced repetition.
- Limit training to a branch of a repertoire, a single repertoire, or all repertoires of a colour.
- Option to restrict training to a limited depth.
- Ability to train against the moves that are proving the most resistant to spaced repetition learning.
- Comment on each position or move, and read the comments others have chosen to make public.
- Add engine evaluations or annotations such as +=, ?! etc to each move in the repertoire.
- Export repertoire and your comments and annotations to PGN.
- Graphs showing learning status and progress over time.
- Use the opening explorer to choose moves for your repertoire (limited to a depth of 10 moves for free members).
- For premium members, the ability to use the cloud engine to ask for analysis on any position.
- ENDGAME TRAINING
- Practice endgames from 3, 4, 5 , 6 and 7 piece endgame positions extracted from real games.
- Over 14000 different positions.
- 2 positions per day for free members.
- For premium members:
- More positions available per day.
- Custom sets that can target a particular endgame type, endgames you keep getting wrong, or utilise spaced
repetition for training. Note: Some custom sets types need to be created on the Chesstempo website before
being used on the app.
- GUESS THE MOVE
- Learn by playing through master games and get scored on how well you match the master's moves.
- ANALYSIS BOARD
- Analyse positions using our cloud engines (requires premium membership). Cloud engines allow you to run high quality analysis without using up your own device's battery. Diamond members can request up to 8 analysis threads, analysing many times more positions per second than an engine running on your device could provide.
- Setup positions from FEN or by arranging the pieces on the board with the board editor.
- Analyse tactics problems after completion to better understand the solution.
- PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
- Monthly auto-renew subscriptions are provided via in app purchases for Silver, Gold and Diamond memberships, providing access to more powerful training features. Details of features provided are shown within the app.
- Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: chesstempo.com/tos.html
Fix for in-app membership purchase bug.
Ratings and Reviews
I applaud the hard work and I'm a premium subscriber.
I guess my biggest issue with chess tempo has been the rating of puzzles. I don't want free elo points of course but I thought that many of those were too underrated. An X puzzle cannot possibly be rated 1500 when Komodo itself cannot achieve an advantage until 7 or 8 moves deep into the line. And you're expected to solve it in less than 20 sec in blitz mode or CT will punish you and subtract points from you, even if solved correctly. This is in difficulty mode: Medium.
It's been quite frustrating to say the least.
For someone like myself who has a decent game of chess. I’m not close to great and wouldn’t even say that I’m good, however I can hold a game in any NYC park and it will be war. I heard about this app through reading online (can’t recall where) and it was leasing this app for helping the writer to strengthen and expand his game, and fairly quickly, as he put the time and effort into studying as well. Now here I am at the app, and at first it appears to be cut and dry, no frills (which I like) however, I have no idea how to use this app, the icons don’t come with a how-to prompt on first use, no help or support or manual. It would be really nice to know how to use the app, what each icon means and it’s function. Not only would it create a more user friendly app, most likely will lean it towards a more attractive interface, and almost importantly it can still be the go-to app for people like myself who don’t understand how to navigate between icons. I would love to learn more, and use the app. I paid for a subscription. Why pay for a subscription, if I can’t find answers and haven’t a clue of what icons/buttons I am pressing or what they do. Please, if there is a possibility for modification, let that be a priority. The idea is to bring the world to chess and help each player improve… even those who have even moved a pawn yet!
Used the app quite a few years ago and deleted it because the website was more polished, which isn’t saying much because both were in dire need of an overhaul.
Overhaul achieved! The app looks cleaner and has well defined menus. I truly enjoy tapping around the screen to discover the new features that have been added while I took a hiatus from the game. The puzzles are top notch as always, as you’d expect from chess tempo, so no changes there. I look forward to working with chess tempo again to increase my understanding of this great and timeless game.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Chess Tempo
- 28.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2007-2023 Chess Tempo
- In-App Purchases
- Gold membership - 1 month $3.99
- Silver membership - 1 month $2.99
- Diamond membership - 1 month $8.99