Top chess app! Chess U's faculty of Grandmasters bring you over 90 animated courses. Taught by experts. Quickly master bulletproof openings. Middlegame tactics. Turn endgame losses into wins. Learn chess secrets directly from top world players. Try it now!
• 90+ courses! 6 free!
• Authors include 3 GM's, 2 IM's, 2 FM's
• Novice, Intermediate, Expert level
• Illustrates every move and variation
• iPad and HD support
• Complete opening systems
• Crucial middlegame tactics
• Endgame essentials
• Recent Top-Level GM Tournaments: Chennai, Biel, Dortmund, Moscow, London, Zug, Beijing
• Annotated masterpieces from Anand, Carlsen, Tal, Alekhine, Botvinnik, Petrosian and more.
• Learn from a Grandmaster, not a computer
• Free download this month
What opening traps to watch out for… and to deploy? How can you avoid the "bad bishop"? Veteran players hardened at the highest levels of international tournament play reveal their secrets.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- Upgrade forward- and back- mechanism
- Reinstate individual lesson reset within a course
Ratings and Reviews
I must say that this is just what I was looking for.
A solid premise with a buggy execution
I really want to love this app. The idea is excellent, and the course I struggled through (struggled in the user interface sense, not the chess sense) was very good, if a little short. But unfortunately navigating the lesson was difficult. The app doesn't always respond to swiping as intended. Also, navigating the variations resulted in the app getting "confused". (Not to mention me.)
I hope the developer continues to improve the app and correct the significant flaws in the UI. Until then, it's hard to recommend this app.
Not all is well!
One star for not delivering on what is promised. If you tell people a diploma is awarded after any course is passed then make the diplomas available. Not a big deal until you get no reply from the company day after day. On the chess itself, so many games are left hanging with no final outcome. And wow, this company offers so many courses, all for a price. I know as I have purchased a lot of them. But no more until things are fixed. Also perhaps the "free" should be taken off the icon. With some minor correction I would give this app four star if not a five.
The developer, Mark Ginsburg Chess LLC, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mark Ginsburg Chess LLC
- 54.9 MB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 5.1.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © Mark Ginsburg Chess LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Starting out with 1. e4 $1.99
- Rook 101 $0.99
- Starting out with 1. d4 $1.99
- Middlegame 201 $0.99
- Classics 101 $0.99
- Anand 201 $0.99
- Tactics 101 $0.99
- Players Pack 2012 $1.99
- Early Carlsen 201 $0.99
- Kill the King 101 $0.99