Chess, For Two. Play chess with a friend, right in iMessage on your iPhone or iPad. No setup, no account, no sign-on, no ads. One tap and you're playing.
‣ Challenge a friend to a new game, right from an existing conversation.
‣ Play without leaving iMessage.
‣ Continue your conversation between each move. Send messages, emoji, and stickers. Talk smack!
‣ Chess42 highlights legal moves for each piece, helping beginner players.
‣ VoiceOver support to assist vision-impaired players.
‣ Fast, easy and fun.
‣ No signup, no setup, no ads, no additional purchases required.
‣ Both iPhone and iPad supported with same download. Buy once and play on all of your devices.
Start playing chess with your friends today!
‣ Improved chess piece design on iOS 12.1 and later.
Ratings and Reviews
Requires 2 purchases
Be aware that your friend also needs to purchase this app for it to work! This should really be clearly laid out upfront. I’m going to ask for a refund as a result.
Sometimes game just disappears.
It has happened for at least 4-5 times now. I make a move the other person doesn't see the game at all.
We both are on latest version.
Suggestion for improvement
I actually like this app better than the other all on the message store right now. I like how it tells you the last move you made by board position, it really helps you learn the system.
It would be nice if there was a way to play the game by calling board positions and have the computer act as a moderator for moves. So if I called D1-H5 as the first move for white, it would tell me "you can't do that because there's a pawn in the way!" The computer could also act as an aid by letting you "cheat" persay and look at the board when you get lost.
For the second idea, I love chess, but I would like a way to pick up from a physical game where I left off. There needs to be a way to set up a board from scratch. This would also allow people to make 'thought problems' for friends to solve like "see if you can checkmate in two" kind of things.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.