The Chess Tempo app provides a mobile and tablet friendly interface for Chesstempo features.
Currently supported features:
- CHESS TACTICS TRAINING
- Improve your tactics by solving tactical problems, with over 100,000 puzzles available.
- Includes both winning and defensive problem types.
- For premium members, solve against sophisticated custom sets that target your weaknesses, for example:
- Sets that target a particular tactical motif such as pin, fork, discovered attack etc.
- Sets that target your previous mistakes, allowing you to repeat problems until correct.
- Spaced repetition learning algorithm sets.
- Note, custom sets can be used on the app, but need to be first created on the Chesstempo website.
- PLAY ONLINE
- Play chess against other Chesstempo users.
- Supports both live and correspondence chess games
- Get a full post game analysis after every rated game played. Game analysis is spread out over our cluster of hundreds of instances of stockfish, allowing high quality results to be returned in a few seconds.
- For premium members, have tactics problems extracted from your rated games, and available for solving in the tactics training UI, and selected via the advanced custom sets feature.
- OPENING TRAINING
- Create multiple black and white repertoires.
- Import repertoires from PGN or by entering the moves on the board.
- Train your repertoires using spaced repetition.
- Limit training to a branch of a repertoire, a single repertoire, or all repertoires of a colour.
- Option to restrict training to a limited depth.
- Ability to train against the moves that are proving the most resistant to spaced repetition learning.
- Comment on each position or move, and read the comments others have chosen to make public.
- Add engine evaluations or annotations such as +=, ?! etc to each move in the repertoire.
- Export repertoire and your comments and annotations to PGN.
- Graphs showing learning status and progress over time.
- Use the opening explorer to choose moves for your repertoire (limited to a depth of 10 moves for free members).
- For premium members, the ability to use the cloud engine to ask for analysis on any position.
- ENDGAME TRAINING
- Practice endgames from 3, 4, 5 , 6 and 7 piece endgame positions extracted from real games.
- Over 14000 different positions.
- 2 positions per day for free members.
- For premium members:
- More positions available per day.
- Custom sets that can target a particular endgame type, endgames you keep getting wrong, or utilise spaced
repetition for training. Note: Some custom sets types need to be created on the Chesstempo website before
being used on the app.
- ANALYSIS BOARD
- Analyse positions using our cloud engines (requires premium membership). Cloud engines allow you to run high quality analysis without using up your own device's battery. Diamond members can request up to 8 analysis threads, analysing many times more positions per second than an engine running on your device could provide.
- Setup positions from FEN or by arranging the pieces on the board with the board editor.
- Analyse tactics problems after completion to better understand the solution.
- PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
- Monthly auto-renew subscriptions are provided via in app purchases for Silver, Gold and Diamond memberships, providing access to more powerful training features. Details of features provided are shown within the app.
- Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: chesstempo.com/tos.html
- Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Glad there is a phone app for this, and it helped me a lot. one issue I have with this is that it doesn’t show you how many problems you’ve done, and this is a big thing for me since i’m in a chess class and need to do 35 correct problems.
Still a great app, though.
Developer Response ,
Glad you like the app! If you click the 'info' button after solving a problem , the session panel lists a bunch of stats about the current session, including the number of problems done.
Great service, app is getting there
I’ve loved chesstempo online for years, the service is top notch. The app itself has some rough patches. Right now I’m struggling to figure out how to change problem sets. Considering switching back to using the website on my phone.
Anyway, thanks for the excellent service! I’m a happy subscriber.
EDIT: thanks for the response!
Developer Response ,
The problem set change button is hidden away a bit after you've started the current solving session (the start solving dialog after opening the app and going to the tactics page does have a set change button). To change set in the middle of a session, click on the Info button, then open the session history panel (the one that shows the rating graph for the current session, and the current session stats). You'll see a set change button at the bottom of that panel. We might move it to somewhere more obvious in a future version, as you're not the first to ask about it.
This is what grandmasters use
There’s nothing like the tactics DB that Richard built in chess tempo. Not just a database with thousands of good tactics, but it rates you and the games so that you always get tactics at your level
If you listen to the podcast “perpetual chess”, you will hear many grandmasters say that chess tempo is a part of their training plan.
I am under 1300 (aka really bad) and I love playing chess tempo tactics as well.
It is true that the UI is awkward and slow, IMO. But that’s not what I get the app for.
- Chess Tempo
- 24.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2007-2020 Chess Tempo
- In-App Purchases
- Gold membership - 1 month $3.99
- Silver membership - 1 month $2.99
- Diamond membership - 1 month $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.