The Chess Tempo app provides a mobile and tablet friendly interface for Chesstempo features.
Currently supported features:
- CHESS TACTICS TRAINING
- Improve your tactics by solving tactical problems, with over 100,000 puzzles available.
- Includes both winning and defensive problem types.
- For premium members, solve against sophisticated custom sets that target your weaknesses, for example:
- Sets that target a particular tactical motif such as pin, fork, discovered attack etc.
- Sets that target your previous mistakes, allowing you to repeat problems until correct.
- Spaced repetition learning algorithm sets.
- Note, custom sets can be used on the app, but need to be first created on the Chesstempo website.
- PLAY ONLINE
- Play chess against other Chesstempo users.
- Supports both live and correspondence chess games
- Get a full post game analysis after every rated game played. Game analysis is spread out over our cluster of hundreds of instances of stockfish, allowing high quality results to be returned in a few seconds.
- For premium members, have tactics problems extracted from your rated games, and available for solving in the tactics training UI, and selected via the advanced custom sets feature.
- OPENING TRAINING
- Create multiple black and white repertoires.
- Import repertoires from PGN or by entering the moves on the board.
- Train your repertoires using spaced repetition.
- Limit training to a branch of a repertoire, a single repertoire, or all repertoires of a colour.
- Option to restrict training to a limited depth.
- Ability to train against the moves that are proving the most resistant to spaced repetition learning.
- Comment on each position or move, and read the comments others have chosen to make public.
- Add engine evaluations or annotations such as +=, ?! etc to each move in the repertoire.
- Export repertoire and your comments and annotations to PGN.
- Graphs showing learning status and progress over time.
- Use the opening explorer to choose moves for your repertoire (limited to a depth of 10 moves for free members).
- For premium members, the ability to use the cloud engine to ask for analysis on any position.
- ENDGAME TRAINING
- Practice endgames from 3, 4, 5 , 6 and 7 piece endgame positions extracted from real games.
- Over 14000 different positions.
- 2 positions per day for free members.
- For premium members:
- More positions available per day.
- Custom sets that can target a particular endgame type, endgames you keep getting wrong, or utilise spaced
repetition for training. Note: Some custom sets types need to be created on the Chesstempo website before
being used on the app.
- ANALYSIS BOARD
- Analyse positions using our cloud engines (requires premium membership). Cloud engines allow you to run high quality analysis without using up your own device's battery. Diamond members can request up to 8 analysis threads, analysing many times more positions per second than an engine running on your device could provide.
- Setup positions from FEN or by arranging the pieces on the board with the board editor.
- Analyse tactics problems after completion to better understand the solution.
- PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS
- Monthly auto-renew subscriptions are provided via in app purchases for Silver, Gold and Diamond memberships, providing access to more powerful training features. Details of features provided are shown within the app.
- Payment will be charged to your Apple ID account at the confirmation of purchase. The subscription automatically renews unless it is canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. You can manage and cancel your subscriptions by going to your App Store account settings after purchase.
Terms of Service: chesstempo.com/tos.html
- Added Chinese language translation
- Several small bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
I applaud the hard work and I'm a premium subscriber.
I guess my biggest issue with chess tempo has been the rating of puzzles. I don't want free elo points of course but I thought that many of those were too underrated. An X puzzle cannot possibly be rated 1500 when Komodo itself cannot achieve an advantage until 7 or 8 moves deep into the line. And you're expected to solve it in less than 20 sec in blitz mode or CT will punish you and subtract points from you, even if solved correctly. This is in difficulty mode: Medium.
It's been quite frustrating to say the least.
A good training app
Overall the app is good. It seems like it’s feature rich, however the endgames training seems a bit buggy. I can’t seem to make moves... not sure if this is just my inexperience or if it’s an actual issue.
Hopefully app developer addresses this issue.
Developer Response ,
Is this still an issue for you on the latest version? Note that in theory mode, you'll only be able to make the move that is the fastest move to mate, which might be what you are experiencing. If you are in theory mode, trying changing to Benchmark or Practice mode to see if that makes any difference.
Developer is very responsive
I started using the app and website this summer. Mostly the openings trainer. I had some problems with the spaced repetition. The initial intervals were too long for me to remember the missed positions.
I posted to the forum and he reprogrammed the site and app so that no one would have this problem. He also has a feature to customize these intervals for people who learn faster than me!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Chess Tempo
- 25.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2007-2020 Chess Tempo
- In-App Purchases
- Gold membership - 1 month $3.99
- Silver membership - 1 month $2.99
- Diamond membership - 1 month $8.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.