Finally a new release! Support for iOS 15 and many other useful improvements.
Choice Boards is a simple but useful communication app. It is designed for children and adults with autism (ASD) or other conditions that make communication difficult. Can be used as a form of Augmentative and Alternate Communication (AAC).
Choice Boards can be used for communication:
- About choices in daily life, such as "What would you like to eat for lunch?", "Where would you like to go for a walk?", "What do you want to watch on TV?", etc.
- Between patients with communication disorders and health care providers i.e. to help localize the pain source or communicate other symptoms.
- About any topics using the picture board as a conversation blueprint containing pictures of related things to talk about, like: "What happened during the day", "Things we can do in Winter", "What gifts did you get for Christmas?".
- About shopping lists, things to do or daily schedules.
- About rewards during an ABA or other learning session, replacing a velcro choice board
- As a general AAC communication help
Choice Boards allows a parent or teacher to create and manage multiple choice boards. Each choice board consists of cards with pictures and text.
Once a choice board is prepared, we can present it to the child for choosing one of the cards. The choice can be made by tapping a card. It gets enlarged to clearly indicate what was chosen. Additionally the card's text is read aloud using the iPad's voice synthesizer.
Please note that the app does not contain any ready to use picture library. You can do web search for pictures with Safari, save them to the Photo Library and later use in Choice Boards. Or you can use pictures taken with the iPad's camera and saved in the Photo Library.
Many AAC symbols are available at http://sensymbols.org/ or http://sclera.be
Comments, questions and ideas for enhancements are welcome and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The screenshots contain AAC pictures from:
- the ARASAAC symbols library (http://arasaac.org/), created by Sergio Palao and available under the Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0, https://creativecommons.org/licenses/)
- the Sclera symbols library (http://www.sclera.be)
(CC BY-NC 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/).
The app contains an icon from the icons8 library (http://icons8.com).
- Support for iOS 15
- Pictures can be enhanced with "badges" placed on top of them to indicate ordering or time. Useful for creating activity plans to indicate what will happen, in which order or at what time.
- Support for choosing Photo Library images stored in iCloud
- Support for restricted access to the Photo Library
- Fixed the order in which images from the Photo Library are displayed
- Fixed the order in which recently used items are displayed ("Recent" tab)
- Updated links to AAC sites ("AAC Symbols" tab)
- Fixed animations
- Fixed a problem that could cause some transparent images to have sometimes a black background
- Other small fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This is an absolutely fabulous app! It is fairly easy to use and create boards.
Was great, but doesn't work now!
Was really awesome but the audio won't work anymore! I've tried updating my iPad, and I've checked my other apps. Everything works fine everywhere else. It's something with this app specifically. Any fixes for this? We love using it with our child!
Developer Response ,
That is sad to hear. Thanks for letting me know about the problem you faced. I will investigate what is going on.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Lukasz Wroczynski
- 16.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Łukasz Wroczyński