ChordAid is a chord dictionary and chord reference application for various stringed instruments like guitar, bass, ukulele, mandolin or bouzouki.
ChordAid supports more than forty-five chord types. Among them are both simple chords and complicated ones used in jazz music, including slash chords (Cm/G).
ChordAid uses sophisticated algorithms to produce the chord charts, which allows it to work well with instruments in standard or custom tuning.
The chord structure is highly customisable so that if your instrument is with three or four strings, you can still see shapes with some intervals omitted.
You can display, compare and practice several different chords at once. They may be the chords of a song or different variations of the same chord.
You can adjust the complexity of the chord shapes shown according to your skill. In addition to the usual chord shapes, ChordAid lets you choose among more difficult chord shapes with two barres and big stretching between fingers.
Several strumming options or finger-picking style are available.
Using ChordAid you can also find the possible names of a chord by selecting the frets you have played on a virtual fretboard. You can drag and drop the chord names to the main song list and see alternatives for that chord.
ChordAid allows you to create and experiment with alternate tunings for instruments with three, four, five or six strings in case you do not find your favourite instrument or tuning in the list.
ChordAid features an auto-complete chord entry field that lets you quickly enter chord symbols. You can easily reorder chords using drag and drop over the tokens.
You can mark individual chord shapes as favorites. Then you can switch to a display mode that shows you favorite shapes only. In this way you can build a chord library of your own.
You can drag and drop chord shapes to other applications. The shapes can be transferred as a resolution independent PDF or as a bitmap.
You can see individual shapes in tablature notation so that you could transfer them into your music sheet.
Some other features include:
• Filtering icons for progressively adjusting the chord shape difficulty
- using one, two, three or four fingers
- without barre, small barre, big barre, two barres
- no stretching, small or big (two frets)
- strumming / picking options - the chord shape must include all strings; all strings with possibly omitting few from the lowest, from the highest or allow any string combination (suitable for finger-picking)
• Sorting by fret (neck position) or by difficulty
• Supports left handed players
• Playback of individual chords in three different styles
• Possibility to configure which intervals may be excluded from a chord shape - suitable when there is a separate bass instrument or when trying to play more complicated chords on an instrument with three or four strings. Options to limit how many intervals to exclude at most and how many times a tone may repeat at most in a shape.
• Translate chords from one instrument to another
• Option for showing the shapes for all inversions of the chords
• Options for limiting the number of open and muted strings in a shape
• Supports English (C D E F G A B) and German/European (C D E F G A H) notations
• Drag-and-drop of shapes to other applications
• Supports retina displays
• Runs in sandbox mode
Please visit our support page if you have questions about using the application or if you have any issues. Drop us a line if you do not see your favourite feature or if you have suggestions for improvement.
In order to get best results for Ukes - make sure "Show chords in any inversion" is checked in the Preferences pane.
Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to get notified for new releases and updates.
It is now possible to change the chord name font and distance to chart when dragging and dropping to other applications.
Ratings and Reviews
First Hour with App and Very good.
This is my first hour of working with this app and I love it. The only reason right now I’m not giving it 5 stars is I need to use it more before. But wanted to give a quick heads up. If you need a good app to grab chord diagrams and paste into a document this works very well! Much easier than trying to create your own chords in Pages. I gave that up after an hour of dedicated trying. In the first few minutes with this app I’m finally on the right track.
Note: There is another chord diagram maker out there and it’s listed as ‘Free’ — But if you want to print from that one it requires a subscription of 9.99 each year!
Go with this one as it has tons more features.
Where are the simple chords? Incomprehensive.
I have just purchased and opened this app. I do see some nice aspects in the ideas and somewhat in the layout. However, I am looking at the ukulele chords and the simplest chords are missing! F, G, and Am in particular, which are important chords to learn to play in their simplest versions… Am has only one finger placement, for example. F has a two-finger placement and G has a three- finger placement. Each of these are in a tight formation , near the C chord in the first fret. In other words, it seems to be missing the BASIC chords in the key of C! I will re-visit after I play with it for a while Perhaps I am missing something?
The two stars are for the idea of the app. There are nice features, it appears. But that does not matter if it is incomprehensive.
Please work on the uke chords!!
Developer Response ,
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience. In order to get best results for Ukes please make sure "Show chords in any inversion" is checked in the Preferences pane. In this way it will show the common shapes you couldn't see.
This is a terrrific app! Especially for the advanced player. Has complete coverage of every chord imaginable, great for a jazz player
The developer, EMSI SOFT, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- EMSI SOFT OOD
- 14.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.7 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2013-2016 EMSI SOFT OOD
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.