ChordBank is the canonical reference for guitarists, with thousands of chords and scales, hand-curated by pros.
Tools like variable-speed backing tracks and playalongs, a metronome packed with features, and advanced Sonic AI flashcards and games that listen as you play make ChordBank an essential part of any player's practice routine. Whether you're right or left-handed, whether you use standard note names or solfege, ChordBank fits your playing.
From multi-angle video lessons on chords, scales, and gear, to theory-laden practice tools to build chord progressions and write songs. ChordBank is a guitarist's essential companion, for pros and beginners alike.
CHORDS YOU CAN TRUST
ChordBank is the most comprehensive chord library on the App Store.
These aren't some auto-generated bunch of fingerings that will stretch your fingers beyond recognition. Each chord in ChordBank is hand-curated by experts to be comfortable to play, and musically sound.
GO DEEPER WITH GENIUS
Writing songs? Tap the Genius button for dozens of proven chord progressions. Customize with advanced chord substitutions.
Wonder what a Cm9 chord actually is? Tap the "Genius" button under any chord for a note-by-note explanation, with links to videos that make music theory simple to understand.
REVERSE CHORD FINDER
Our Reverse Chord Finder has been completely rebuilt on top of ChordBank's canonical theory library. Tap the fretboard to lock in the chord you're playing on your real guitar. ChordBank will search thousands of possible chords to tell you what chords those notes make up, even if it's not a perfect match.
Plus, you can now add Reverse Chord Finder chords to your saved chord collections, and ChordBank will automatically suggest where to put your fingers to make each chord easier to play.
SCALES FOR DAYS
We've always had CAGED patterns for scales, but we've added the Three Note per String (3NPS) system popular among more advanced players. Coupled with new scale types like Bebop and new modal scales like Phyrgian Dominan and Lydian Minor, there are thousands of new ways to play scales up and down the neck.
PRACTICE TOOLS TO PLAY AND PLAY
Practice any scale with drills that play at the speed that works for you. Ascend, descend, move in groups of three. Master scale patterns at the pace that works for you.
Plus, backing backing tracks let play at the speed that's comfortable for you. Or tap a tempo into our metronome, then set a countdown timer to keep you motivated as you practice.
With our Sonic AI flashcards, ChordBank uses the microphone recognize chords as you play. Our flashcards and games will have you mastering new chords in no time.
MEMBERSHIPS THAT WORK FOR YOU
Many of ChordBank®'s features are free but, for just $4.49 per month, less than even a single set of guitar strings, a ChordBank® All Access subscription provides full access to thousands of chords in all keys, scales and scale patterns, backing tracks, a library of video lessons recorded by professional musicians, and more.
If you decide to purchase a subscription to ChordBank® All Access, an initial payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of each subscription period, at a rate of $4.49 per month.
You can turn off auto-renewal at any time via your iTunes Account Settings.
We hope ChordBank® helps you, as it has helped millions of other guitarists since 2010, to get the most out of your playing. If you enjoy the app, or have suggestions to make it better, please let us know at chordbank.com/support. Thanks!
This is our biggest release in over 10 years on the App Store! Thank you for sticking with ChordBank, and we look forward to sticking with you into the next decade to come!
- Capos! This release adds full support for capo chords. Save them, and the capo shows up on the diagram, too.
- We spent over two years hand-curating our library from the ground up. Unlike other apps that use algorithms to generate chords without thinking through how easy they are to play, we worked with a leading music professor to ensure that every chord in ChordBank is comfortable and musically sound curating, chord by chord, tens of thousands of chord shapes. The project took over two years from start to finish, but the result is a chord library you won't find anywhere else.
- You can now customize progressions in Genius mode with advanced chord substitutions, and scroll through spotlight voicings to find just the right combinations.
- Chord Search! Search for over a *ten thousand* distinct types of chords. From a simple G chord to a F#7b5#9, it's now easier for users to find what you're looking for.
- Saved chords have been overhauled with a completely new detail view--tap any saved chord in your collections, and quickly switch between them. Perfect for learning new chords, or writing songs. Full support for saving slash chords and chords with capos, too.
- Recent chords. ChordBank now automatically saves chords as you browse to a special collection for easy access. Working on a song? Just move from chord to chord. ChordBank will remember and make it easy to switch back and forth.
- We've always had CAGED patterns for scales, but we've added the Three Note per String (3NPS) system popular among more advanced players. Coupled with new scale types like Bebop and new modal scales like Phyrgian Dominan and Lydian Minor, there are thousands of new ways to play scales up and down the neck in ChordBank 4.0, from C to shining C.
- For the first time, zoom out to browse a mini-map of patterns for every scale. See fingers and root notes at a glance, with the starting fret to find the perfect place on the neck to practice and play.
- We rebuilt our backing tracks to let you change the key of the track independent from the scale, so you can experiement with different scales and patterns while tracks play at the speed that's comfortable for you.
- Our Reverse Chord Finder has been completely rebuilt on top of ChordBank's canonical theory library. Tap the fretboard to lock in the chord you're playing on your real guitar. ChordBank will search thousands of possible chords to tell you what chords those notes make up, even if it's not a perfect match.
- We've massively overhauled our Voiceover support to optimize the app for players who use ChordBank with impaired vision.
- We worked hard in this release to make ChordBank shine for our iPad users, supporting key iPad technologies like Split View and Slide Over, and utilizing the iPad's awesome big screen to let users see sorted, curated versions of chords and scale patterns.
- Launch our tuner, and you'll notice the needle doesn't jump around. We're using machine learning to listen when you're playing your guitar, and stop when you're not.
- We improved the accuracy of our Sonic AI flashcards. ChordBank's algorithms analyze the microphone input and recognize chords when you play them, flipping the cards automatically and helping you learn and practice curated decks of chords.
- We've also optimized our games, like Blackjack, ChordPOP, and EmojiHunt, to make better use of the screen on modern iPhones, listening as you play to flip cards, fire darts, or guess missing letters based on the chords you play on your guitar. And, before diving into a game, ChordCoach will guide you one string at a time to make sure you've got the shapes down.
Ratings and Reviews
Great but could be better.
My ISSUES with this app are how fixatedand locked in the fretboard it looks on smaller screens like old iPhones and even X size ones. You should have the ability to see all the note son the fretboard and move them freely all the time. Pressing again and again can be annoying. There should be a selecting feature for this or free scrolling
2. The explorer feature is great but it wont let you add the chord to your saved directly making it a hassle!!!!
3. Overall, this app is great. You can find the chords you didn’t know you needed or existed. I hope these two little things get fixed. They are my main issues other than that no crashes or anything much.
I’ve actually used this app for years and finally decided to write a review. I am not even using the most up-to-date version but this app has proven to be amazing time and time again. I was just using the chord finder feature where you can tap on the fretboard and create the chord that you are playing and it will tell you the best options for what it actually is.
You’ve got all the scales and modes and backing tracks to go along with them. It generally has a great interface and I can’t imagine all the work it took to put this together. It’s been a huge asset for me. Thank you developers!
Great app, but could fit the screen better for portrait
iPad 9.7. This app has tons of uses and is well worth the price for the full version. My only pet peeve is the way scales don’t display properly and some of the notes are cut off until you scroll down in portrait. This may be because the same amount of notes display on the landscape mode. Take some hints from how the interface from rock smith works for scale patterns, display it so I can zoom in and out on different sections of the pattern, or view the entire fretboard. The reverse chord finder and genius are helpful for writing. I also like being able to hear every chord and note if I want. Anyways great app and hopefully they can fix the notes disappearing thing.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Better Notes, LLC
- 115.3 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai
- Age Rating
- © 2022 by Better Notes, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- ChordBank Pro, Monthly $4.99
- Pro Upgrade $0.00
- ChordBank Platinum+ $14.99
- Upgrade Special $2.99
- ChordBank All Access $4.49
- ChordBank Gold 2K $9.99
- Guitar Lessons Upgrade $9.99
- Single Chord: Seventh $2.99
- ChordBank Basic $1.99
- ChordBank Pro, Yearly $14.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.