The most powerful safety app for today’s world. Download Citizen to feel safer at home or out. Get real-time safety alerts and live video of incidents happening near you, updates on natural disasters or protests, and know if your loved ones are near a dangerous incident. Plus, 24/7 access to a trained Protect Agent who can help whenever you feel unsafe.
Citizen notifications have urged people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks and have even led to a rescue of a 1-year-old from a stolen car. Citizen may notify you of a crime in progress before the police have responded. It's meant to protect you and your community — please use it responsibly.
NEW! 24/7 access to a trained Protect Agent who can discreetly help, silently monitor your live location and audio, alert other users, call 911, monitor heart rate through your apple watch and more. No situation too big or small.
See friends on your Safety Map: Know their safety status at a glance and find out if (and when) they are near a dangerous incident in real-time. You can turn on Ghost Mode to keep your location private at any time.
Real-time Safety Alerts: Location-based notifications help you avoid potentially dangerous situations.
Live Breaking Video: Watch live video of an incident unfold from different angles or broadcast live from the scene.
Keep Your Community Safe: Report incidents right when they happen to protect the people around you
In case of emergencies, Citizen Protect uses HealthKit to read and share your heart rate with our Protect Agent during a session.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Like a lot!
I absolutely love this app. I think it’s a genius idea! I can’t imagine that amount of work and details that goes into creating something like this. However I think there are still many improvements and changes that can and should be made. Personally some ideas and things I notice right away that could be changed:
- customizable notifications, for example option to set a miles scale radius of where you want to be notified, specific types of incidents you do and don’t want notifications for, being able to choose notification alert sounds for different incidents
- importantly, it’d be helpful and interesting if there were more details and updates given for these situations. I see a lot of people in the comments saying this as well, one small example is parents asking if the “man with a gun” is actually happening and wanting details because it’s near a school that’s about to end for the day and never getting an answer
- a section available at the bottom bar where you can set up a list of saved customized addresses/cities/locations that you want to more easily check on
- could add at the bottom of the incident links to other sources like news articles
There are all kinds of new features and changes to existing features that could make this app better. This app is genius and I can see it becoming much more known and widely used in the future! Continued improving will ensure that too.
Text messages alerts from users who are also on this is an app
I’ve recently installed this app on my phone and I’ve added some of my contacts who currently uses the citizen app. The issue I’m having is whenever those contacts text me I have absolutely no way to know that they text me unless I physically unlock my phone and check my text messages. There are absolutely no alerts at all to prompt me to check my phone whenever I receive a text message.
I’ve contacted tech-support after trying everything within the app and on my phone to troubleshoot this issue myself. It is taking them over 12 days to simply answer my question as to why this is happening. Meanwhile, this has been happening for months now since installing this app on my phone and it is becoming a major inconvenience.
I will give them a few days and if nothing has been resolved I will be deleting the app, contacting everyone whom I’ve added and shared this app with to let them know that I’m no longer using it. I could also go on and on about the types of notifications that I am receiving in conjunction to the area where I live and the privacy concerns. It’s just not worth the headache in my opinion, but this would make this review too long and the information contained within may not be red because it is so long.
Time stamp on videos
I like the app but it would be more helpful if the videos were posted in chronological order or if they had time stamps. I was just following an important event in my neighborhood and I had a hard time figuring out if there were new developments and videos would have helped, especially because the updates being posted in real time were confusing and accurate. Since there is no time stamp on them (unless you select each video individually, select the user, then select the video again) it is impossible to determine if new ones have been added, so you have to keep scrolling through them. It’s very impractical when you have numerous videos to go through. Also, there should be better monitoring of the videos posted (some of them are completely useless). And there should be an age limit. Children should not be playing with this app. There was a five alarm fire tonight in my neighborhood and a young boy was playing reporter with his parents’ permission. Unacceptable and disrespectful. Other than that, it’s a very useful app.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- sp0n, Inc.
- 155.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2020 sp0n Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Protect Personal Monthly $19.99
- Protect Personal Monthly $19.99
- Protect Personal Monthly $34.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.