Joining the Citizen safety network will give you instant access to information about crimes near you. The Citizen technology will send you real-time push notifications to alert you of crimes that are close by. Users write to us every day telling us how Citizen is changing how they engage with their neighborhoods. Citizen notifications have prompted users to evacuate burning buildings, deter school buses from departing a school during a nearby terrorist attack, or even rescue their neighbor’s baby locked in a hot car.
You may receive a notification of a crime in progress before the police have responded. This app is meant to keep you safe and protect you. Please use Citizen responsibly.
Real-time Alerts: Location-based notifications help you avoid potentially dangerous situations.
Live Video: Go live from the scene or watch an incident unfold from different angles.
Incident Details: Receive continuous updates on incidents and chat with other Citizen users.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Great concept. Two issues need to be addressed:
1) The developers need to enable “filtering of events” so that the map only shows events from the time frame the user designates. For example, you should be able to filter for events that have occurred in the past 24hrs. Or even events that have occurred over the past 2hrs. Or even a map that shows only events that have been reported within the past 30 minutes...
2) In baltimore we frequently get reports of carjackings etc that are 10 hrs off from the the time that it actually occured. The app states that “carjacking was reported on june 6” but does not report the time that the carjacking actually was called in to 911, or even the time that the victim states it occurred. Instead, it gives a time many hours later.
I gave it a second chance and the problem became worse with forcing you to choose “always allow” location services. You now can only use the app if this is on and all other options did not let me unlock the app to use and directed me back to having to choose always allow. I tried but will look into other options for crime reports. Plus I work at a hospital and none of the traumas that we get in show up on this app even the next day. Not convinced that this app follows all legit reports from LAPD/CHP/Fire.
I thought this app would be of good use but a lot of the content is not confirmed on the crime reported. There is a constant pop up that stays around for a very long time before you can actually use the app every single time you open it. It says to go to your settings and turn on the location services for “always allow”. It almost tries to bully you into it by not allowing you to bypass the popup for a long time. So if you want to use the app quick to see something then you have to deal with this first. I don’t want to use my location services “always” for this app, stop trying to force me! I’ll give it another week until I erase it if this little pop up continues. It’s really annoying and the developers need to just prompt you once for you to get something...not every time you open the app.
I’ve allowed this app access to my location while the app is running, not always. It used to be fine with this: I continued to get alerts for things that happened in the place I last opened the app (which is what I want - I look at recent crime near home, from home, but not near work or from work, 20 miles away). The app had a little notice at the bottom of the screen asking me to change my location setting, but it didn't take up much space or interfere with my use of the app. Recently, the app is becoming more and more obnoxious about asking me to change its location access. It’s notable that the developer has evolved the “give me your location always!” screens to be more frequent, cover more of the screen, and be less easily dismissed. As of this version, it covers the whole screen and a dismiss icon only shows up after the notice has been on screen several seconds.
Other than that major impediment to usability, I like the app. I live in the city and appreciate knowing where and when crime has been happening lately. I do wish the default radius were something I could configure, but that’s not a huge problem.
- sp0n, Inc.
- 101.8 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 sp0n Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.