CIVIL WAR: AMERICA'S EPIC STRUGGLE features over 1,000 high-resolution photos, more than an hour of multimedia presentations, in excess of 100 authentic maps, dozens of first-hand accounts, and numerous text articles and biographies. The program provides instantaneous access to information on every aspect of the Civil War. The app automatically optimizes images and text depending upon the display: iPad, Retina, or iPhone; portrait or landscape orientation.
With 18 different easily navigable categories, CIVIL WAR: AMERICA'S EPIC STRUGGLE provides a moving experience of the history of the Civil War for both the casual browser and serious history buff. The zoomable black and white photographs are very high resolution and bring the text and narration to life. This reference work includes most of the notable photographs in the "Matthew Brady Collection." In addition, over 100 period maps illustrate the progress of various campaigns geographically.
* Overview (10 minute multimedia presentation)
* Causes of the War (6 minute multimedia presentation plus 25 illustrated articles)
* Major Battles Alphabetically (32 chapters, over 450 articles and photos, 24 multimedia)
* Major Battles Chronologically (32 chapters, over 450 articles and photos, 24 multimedia)
* Multimedia Presentations (over 60 minutes with hundreds of photos and narration)
* Biographies (Union Generals, Confederate Generals and historical figures)
* Timeline (5 different years 1861 - 1865, 52 monthly timelines)
* Washington (5 timelines, 18 documents, 49 photos)
* Richmond (5 timelines, 1 document, 4 photos)
* Railroads (50 photos, 3 minute multimedia presentation)
* Medical Care (2 minute multimedia presentation, 1 article, 53 photos)
* Music (6 songs as audio files, 6 sets of lyrics in text)
* Navy (54 monthly timelines, 31 photos)
* Americans (overview and the roles of 6 different ethnic groups)
* America (introduction and 13 articles on American life during the Civil War)
* Maps (18 locales, over 100 maps)
Battles covered in-depth include: Antietam, Atlanta, Bull Run, Second Bull Run, Chancellorsville, Chattanooga, Chickamauga, Fredericksburg, Fort Donelson, Fort Sumter, Gettysburg, Missouri, Mobile Bay, Monitor vs. Virginia, Nashville, New Orleans, Pea Ridge, The Peninsular Campaign, Petersburg Roanoke Island, Seven Days, Sherman's March to the Sea, Shiloh Stone River, Vicksburg, West Virginia, and the Wilderness.
The entire contents of CIVIL WAR: AMERICA'S EPIC STRUGGLE are searchable using the pop-up keyboard to enter any term. Recently viewed pages are stored, so the user may return to them easily. The app also features integrated e-mail connectivity to send any pictures or articles over the Internet, as well as a favorites section for frequently viewed material. Images and documents can be marked and saved as "favorites". You can e-mail any photograph or text.
Native for iPhone 6,7 larger iPads
Ratings and Reviews
If you buy this you'll regret it
This app cries out: the people who built this app just don't care. The frequent misspellings - commonly so basic and obvious they would have been caught in a casual read through by any fourth grader - distract and make plain that the material can't be trusted. Bad that this was released with so many mistakes, worse that the mistakes haven't been fixed. If you care about accuracy, or integrity of historical materials, or if you don't like spending money on shoddy, third-rate workmanship, this is one to pass on.
A solid 3 stars
A good overview, with plenty of images. However, it feels like a not-quite-final product. Some multimedia presentations in particular are frustrating. Audio drops out at times while the video continues. I can only guess that the silence is deliberate, but it is not golden! Also, the narrator sometimes trips over a word. The tone of voice is very pleasant, if perhaps a bit over-enunciated. In general images are very good, but maps are lower quality, and the quality of the caption text over maps could be improved.
I recommend the app. While it's true that you can find the same information on the internet, it's been gathered for you, and $4.99 is not too much for what is offered. I hope that future updates provide some cleanup of audio and perhaps some better typography as well.
This app is a mess of content
The concept is a good one, but the execution is quite amature-ish. The content is not well laid out, and the multi-media presentations contain music that plays over top of the narration, making it impossible to understand what is being said. The animations are jerky, not well choreographed, and have photos inexplicably interspersed at the oddest moments, making the flow of presentations hard to follow.
Some text is large enough to read easily. Other text is extremely small and very difficult to read with no option to zoom. Obvious that the app author cut and paste content from other sources in a hodge-podge presentation. Overally, content appears completely plagiarized for quick completion / quick sale.
Seriously, appears as though a group of high school kids put this app together. Quite disappointing for the price.
- Multieducator Inc
- 955.3 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2010,2017 Multieducator Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.