In the early 1980s, these textual space adventures were very popular on home computers.
They were based on the various "Trek" games that had gone before them on mainframes and mini computers.
In this version you have 35 stardates to track down and eliminate 7 warbirds. You can move through the galaxy, perform short and long range scans, and then shoot using lasers or missiles. If you run low of energy or missiles you can dock with a starbase to recharge.
This is a loving recreation of the "Space War" BASIC program that ran on the Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80.
The original version was distributed on the demo tape of the EACA Video Genie / System 80, which was a clone of the TRS-80 model 1 level II.
This app is a completely new creation that tries to re-create the game as accurately as possible (including all the quirks of the original!)
The game is free to play with no adverts. But if you like it, you can help support independent app development by buying one of the optional upgrades.
The upgrades are all for silly non-essential things, so if you don't want to spend any money, feel free to just have fun with the complete game :-)
Please feel free to get in touch to let me know what you think. As a solo developer, it's always nice to hear from people who like my work! - Richard
I've fixed the game to be more accurate to the original:
• I had included a 'bug' in the 1980 version that meant you didn't always start with 35 stardates. On closer inspection I saw that this was in fact a bug I had introduced myself as I hadn't analysed the original game correctly. So that 'bug' is removed and you now always have 35 stardates at the start of the game, regardless of whether you're playing the 1980 or 2020 version.
• When I fixed the stardate bug I noticed another actual bug in the original game that I hadn't included. So I've now implemented that in the 1980 version, so it is as authentic as possible. The bug is to do with targeting of lasers - if you'd like to know more, see the "Spoilers" section in the Help pages.
People also told me they didn't notice the additional instructions I'd written, and only saw the original brief in-game instructions. So I've added a menu item for "Instructions" before "Start new game" to make it more obvious when you first start playing.
Thanks for all your kind messages, it's lovely that so many people are as fond of this old game as I am! Richard
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Perfect job recreating the TRS-80 game experience!
Awesome game. I fully agree that you should try to figure out how the game moves work without reading the advanced instructions. Made it so much more enjoyable. Thanks for putting in the time to develop!
Solid effort. Good game. Nice remake of a classic. If you’re into retro, grab this one. And you can’t beat the price!
Nice job on this retro game!
I originally played a version using a Decwriter, connected to a mainframe with a 300 baud acoustic modem! My only improvement idea for this version is to make the keypad area larger. My fat fingers on the small phone screen can tap the wrong number easily.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Richard Loxley Ltd
- 2.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Richard Loxley Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock everything $4.99
- New game version $1.99
- Optional visual effects $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.