Burgundy Wines and Terroirs
Designed for iPad
A comprehensive guide to the great wines of Burgundy, with detailed interactive maps of its renowned vineyards (known as climats), from Montrachet to Chambertin. Includes a guide to the top producers and a GPS function for your visits to the vineyards.
Features of ClimaVinea:
• An interactive version of Sylvain Pitiot’s authoritative new maps, published in his book The Climats and Lieux-Dits of the Great Vineyards of Burgundy (3rd edition 2019). Includes the most recent scholarship on the origins of parcel names from Marie-Hélène Landrieu.
• The Who’s Who of producers: profiles and wine lists for 140 elite estates and negociants, to help you build a cellar and make informed choices from restaurant wine lists. The list is entirely impartial (there are no ads or sales linked to this app), the selection being based on the collective judgments of the best international critics over several vintages. (Not a comprehensive list of all producers.)
• An encyclopedic reference that will satisfy your curiosity and help you deepen your knowledge of the history, culture, and vineyards that produce great wines of Burgundy—knowledge that enhances the pleasure of exploring and drinking them.
• A powerful search engine helps you find reliable, precise information. Whether you are a professional, connoisseur, collector, or student of wine, with ClimaVinea you can find a vineyard on the map and look up its surface area and other facts, check whether a producer makes a certain wine, discover the characteristics of an appellation, and more.
• A GPS function guides you through the vineyards when you visit Burgundy.
• Includes both French and English versions, with the option to switch back and forth. - A must have for anyone seriously interested in the wines of Burgundy.
This newest update introduces the first prototype of new interactive parcellary maps of certain remarkable climats. We started with Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru, where you will discover both a cadastral map and an interactive one showing the parcels belonging to different wineries. In future updates we hope to expand this feature to other grand crus, and to certain emblematic premier crus such as Clos Saint-Jacques in Gevrey-Chambertin and Perrières in Meursault. With this new feature, the maps and information offered in ClimaVinea reach an unparalleled level of depth and precision.
Another change in this update was suggested by many of our users: settings for language, text size, and background color are now maintained each time the app is reopened.
Among the featured producer profiles, we are proud to add Domaine Bizot in Vosne-Romanée.
Like each new iteration of ClimaVinea, this version includes updated and expanded profiles of many producers, and updated lists of their crus when their lineups have changed significantly.
Moreover, this version reflects several recent transfers of entire estates and transfers of control pertaining to highly prized vineyard holdings. These transactions exemplify how the most sought-after wine region of the world today is being reshaped, provoking intense competition among elite producers and prominent investors who have already established a foothold, particularly in the Côte de Nuits.
This version also presents previously unpublished information, such as a note about the architectural heritage of the vineyards (in French), and an updated list of the wines offered at the annual wine auction at the Hospices de Beaune.
We would like to remind our users of an important update debuted in version 3.0: maps of the new appellations Marsannay and Marsannay Rosé (established in November 2019). This significant development primarily impacted the surface area and borders of a number of lieux-dits and climats in the villages of Chenôve, Marsannay-la-Côte, and Couchey.
Finally, we thank the connoisseurs and professionals in more than 40 countries around the world who pointed out a few minor bugs in the program. These have now been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Should use this app. It’s the best. And recommended by Christina LaFon. It is so well organized and easy to use. I love this app when I am in burgundy study mode
Hands down the best burgundy resource to date. Leave Clive at home and carry this in your pocket!
Great potential but missing many producers
I just completed a two week professional tour and tasting at 19 Chateau in Burgundy and I was very disappointed that almost half were not represented in the app which really made the purchase a waste for me. Big producers like Jadot, Latour, and leflaive have no shortage of information on their websites. I was really hoping your app would fill in the blanks. FYI, below are the Domaines not covered.
Domaine du Clos Frantin
Domaine Mongeard Magneret
Domaine Comte Senard
Château de Chamirey
Domaine Louis Michel et Fils
Domaine William Fevre
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your interest in our app and sorry for the delayed answer.
We understand of course your frustration. Note however that about half of the estates in your list fall outside the scope of CLIMAVINEA. Our app covers the vineyards of the Côte de Nuits and the Côte de Beaune, it does not include Chablis or the Côte Chalonnaise.
Château de Chamirey (Mercurey) and Domaine Chanzy (Bouzeron) are both located in the Côte Chalonnaise, whereas Louis Michel & Fils and William Fèvre belong to Chablis.
Domaine du Clos Frantin is, as you know, a subsidiary of Maison Albert Bichot, and as such it is featured in our app (please refer to Albert Bichot in the section ‘Estates and négociants’).
As to Boyer-Martenot, Mongeard-Mugneret and Comte Senard, or Patriarche, they are indeed not included. They are certainly worth your consideration, and we may elect to feature them at some stage. We are adding producers a few at a time, and also spending plenty of time updating the profiles of estates and negociants already featured in ClimaVinea.
Our aim is to present our users with a selection of the very best estates. CLIMAVINEA currently features some 140 elite producers, that is a small fraction of the 2000 or so estates who are making wine in the Côte d’Or. We are by no means a directory. A key part of the value we are providing is to help people make informed choices when it comes to buying burgundies.
Our selection is not based on our own taste, it is entirely the product of the combined judgements of the best independent critics worldwide, over several vintages. This is the less imperfect method we found to pick up the estates. More details on that in the « Wine Critics » section of ClimaVinea if you are interested.
Again, thank you for your comment and interest in our app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- 356.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2023 Viavinea SAS
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.