A comprehensive guide to the great wines of Burgundy, with detailed interactive maps of its renowned vineyards (known as climats), from Montrachet to Chambertin. Includes a guide to the top producers and a GPS function for your visits to the vineyards.
Features of ClimaVinea:
• An interactive version of Sylvain Pitiot’s authoritative new maps, published in his book The Climats and Lieux-Dits of the Great Vineyards of Burgundy (3rd edition 2019). Includes the most recent scholarship on the origins of parcel names from Marie-Hélène Landrieu.
• The Who’s Who of producers: profiles and wine lists for 140 elite estates and negociants, to help you build a cellar and make informed choices from restaurant wine lists. The list is entirely impartial (there are no ads or sales linked to this app), the selection being based on the collective judgments of the best international critics over several vintages. (Not a comprehensive list of all producers.)
• An encyclopedic reference that will satisfy your curiosity and help you deepen your knowledge of the history, culture, and vineyards that produce great wines of Burgundy—knowledge that enhances the pleasure of exploring and drinking them.
• A powerful search engine helps you find reliable, precise information. Whether you are a professional, connoisseur, collector, or student of wine, with ClimaVinea you can find a vineyard on the map and look up its surface area and other facts, check whether a producer makes a certain wine, discover the characteristics of an appellation, and more.
• A GPS function guides you through the vineyards when you visit Burgundy.
• Includes both French and English versions, with the option to switch back and forth. - A must have for anyone seriously interested in the wines of Burgundy.
This version 3.0 features brand new maps of the Marsannay and Marsannay Rosé appellations, following changes that were officially approved by the INAO in November 2019 at the conclusion of a long investigation. Also included here are alterations to the surface area and borders of many lieux-dits and climats in Chenôve, Marsannay-la-Côte, and Couchey which resulted from the updates. In this new division of the vineyards, some lieux-dits and climats completely disappeared, while other, new ones were established. Moreover, there were significant exchanges between the Marsannay and Marsannay Rosé appellations, with certain climats shifting from one of these appellations to the other.
Version 3.0 also offers an updated, expanded presentation of numerous estates and negociant houses (Bruno Clair, Albert Grivault, Armand Rousseau, Hubert de Montille…), as well as updates to the lists of the wines offered by noteworthy producers whose production lineups changed in 2020.
Finally, as with all of our updates, version 3.0 covers an abundance of news from the region, including the passing of the baton at the Association des Climats du Vignoble de Bourgogne, the new faces at certain estates, and the addition of an English-language presentation of the Abbey of Saint-Vivant; and a few minor bugs have been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Should use this app. It’s the best. And recommended by Christina LaFon. It is so well organized and easy to use. I love this app when I am in burgundy study mode
Hands down the best burgundy resource to date. Leave Clive at home and carry this in your pocket!
Great potential but missing many producers
I just completed a two week professional tour and tasting at 19 Chateau in Burgundy and I was very disappointed that almost half were not represented in the app which really made the purchase a waste for me. Big producers like Jadot, Latour, and leflaive have no shortage of information on their websites. I was really hoping your app would fill in the blanks. FYI, below are the Domaines not covered.
Domaine du Clos Frantin
Domaine Mongeard Magneret
Domaine Comte Senard
Château de Chamirey
Domaine Louis Michel et Fils
Domaine William Fevre
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your interest in our app and sorry for the delayed answer.
We understand of course your frustration. Note however that about half of the estates in your list fall outside the scope of CLIMAVINEA. Our app covers the vineyards of the Côte de Nuits and the Côte de Beaune, it does not include Chablis or the Côte Chalonnaise.
Château de Chamirey (Mercurey) and Domaine Chanzy (Bouzeron) are both located in the Côte Chalonnaise, whereas Louis Michel & Fils and William Fèvre belong to Chablis.
Domaine du Clos Frantin is, as you know, a subsidiary of Maison Albert Bichot, and as such it is featured in our app (please refer to Albert Bichot in the section ‘Estates and négociants’).
As to Boyer-Martenot, Mongeard-Mugneret and Comte Senard, or Patriarche, they are indeed not included. They are certainly worth your consideration, and we may elect to feature them at some stage. We are adding producers a few at a time, and also spending plenty of time updating the profiles of estates and negociants already featured in ClimaVinea.
Our aim is to present our users with a selection of the very best estates. CLIMAVINEA currently features some 140 elite producers, that is a small fraction of the 2000 or so estates who are making wine in the Côte d’Or. We are by no means a directory. A key part of the value we are providing is to help people make informed choices when it comes to buying burgundies.
Our selection is not based on our own taste, it is entirely the product of the combined judgements of the best independent critics worldwide, over several vintages. This is the less imperfect method we found to pick up the estates. More details on that in the « Wine Critics » section of ClimaVinea if you are interested.
Again, thank you for your comment and interest in our app.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- 352.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Viavinea SAS
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.