Climb is a language-learning application that boosts your vocabulary by helping you to discover and memorize new words.
TEST YOUR VOCABULARY
– Find out how many English words you know.
– Match with a famous person.
– Get a personalized word list based on your level.
– Each word comes with a funny GIF animation.
– Climb's unique analyzer will tell you how advanced the word is.
– Translate to your native language with integrated Google Translate.
– Check out slang definitions from Urban Dictionary.
– Oxford dictionary with idioms, phrasal verbs, and more.
– Pronounce every word with the different accents.
PRACTICE TO LEARN
– Create any practice list you want.
– Practice every day with fun, bite-size exercises.
– Visual learning with GIFs, active recalling, and spaced repetition techniques.
WORD OF THE DAY
– Get a daily word with a funny GIF.
– Read a related news to get a better understand how the word is used in a context.
– If you like the word, add it to your practice list!
– Reading something in Safari? Got a text with a word you don't know?
– Simply select any word, then tap "Share" and choose "Define in Climb" to get its definition and add it to your practice list.
– Discover dozens of word lists which are specifically selected for the needs of advanced speakers.
– For students, we have IELTS vocabulary list, GRE vocabulary lists, TOEFL vocabulary list, and GMAT vocabulary lists.
Currently, we only support English language-learning, but we plan to add others soon. Please submit this form if you're interested in a particular language: theclimb.app/nextlanguage
Any ideas, questions or feedback? We’d love to hear it! Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While most of the Climb's functionality is free (vocabulary size test, list management, GIFs in the dictionary, Word of the day), in order to continue practicing, you will be prompted to subscribe with a free 7-day trial. If you choose to purchase Subscription, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
We offer the following subscription durations: 1 month, 3 months, and 12 months.
Terms of service: https://theclimb.app/terms/
Bug fixes and improvements for specific regions.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I love this app! It really helps when I’m reading a new book or watching a new movie. I just make a list with the title and add all the words i don’t understand. Then I use the quiz feature to learn those words. Quizzing yourself is really great, because that’s exactly how people learn. It turns the process into active learning versus just passively looking up the definition of the word. Makes the words actually stick in your brain. Been looking for something like this for ages. Awesome job!
“Core” feature not free
The app description says “most of the Climb’s functionality is free,” but what I see as the core feature is not: the ability to actually practice words. Without subscribing, I can browse categorized lists of words (without any definitions attached) or look up single words with Climb’s dictionary. I got this app because I wanted to quiz myself and actually learn the words in these categorized lists. I don’t see any remotely efficient way for me to do that without paying.
I find this very off-putting and disappointing, but I know there was probably an issue with my reading comprehension when I looked at the app description. I can’t put all the blame on the developers’ misleading wording. Plus, I do love the concept and features of Climb and they seem very well-executed, from what I could see. My personal inability to pay doesn’t make the app any less good; it just means I can’t use it.
(I‘m sorry if this comes off as accusing or unfriendly. I hardly ever leave reviews and never understood how people can sound so single-mindedly furious in them, up until my current case of misunderstanding and dashed expectations... I didn’t know that being emotional makes it so hard to keep myself from leaving an absurdly low rating, or filling my review with unreasonable vitriol! But I’ll stop taking up your time with my wordy rambling now. Best of luck developing this app and let it “Climb” to new heights. 🙂)
I love this app; however...
The practice rounds are long enough to feed you several words at a time so that the definitions and understandings become easier to retain. I enjoy the different ways to learn vocabulary by use of multiple choice and typing in the word to best fit the definition. I DO NOT like the GIFs. Yes, they are fun starting out using the app, but they are not always 100% accurate. They can be vague and throw off the meaning of some vocabulary.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! You're right, sometimes GIFs could be better. We just updated the app (version 1.5.10) and now it's possible to report from the quiz if a GIF is incorrect or misleading. We constantly work on improving the quality of our content and your reporting in case of mistakes will be highly appreciated.
- Climb Apps, LLC
- 59.8 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Climb Apps, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Climb Monthly Subscription $9.99
- Climb Yearly Subscription $59.99
- Climb Quarterly Subscription $19.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.